Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"W" Is For Williamsburg, Virginia - Land That I Love

"Williamsburg Inn" painting by MMSikes
Williamsburg, Virginia is the community of my heart. For many years, it has been a central location in my life. As an art student at the College of William and Mary, I commuted to the school at least three times a week, studying painting, sculpture, printmaking, and ceramics. I've exhibited art in exhibitions and in galleries in Williamsburg. As a correspondent for the Newport News Daily Press, I covered Williamsburg and wrote feature articles for several years. Now I play tennis there three times a week.

"The Historic Area--stretching from the College of William and Mary at one end of Duke of Gloucester Street to the Capitol building at the other--attracts droves of admiring visitors from all over the world. Nearby, at the edge of the restored area, the Williamsburg Inn offers gracious accommodations, graceful decor, and delightful gourmet dining."

That's what I wrote as part of my entry in Hotels to Remember featuring the historic inn. My painting on the left is actually of the back of the inn as seen from the golf course. I love this side of the inn because it seems more like old Williamsburg to me.

We are fortunate that in 1926, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. decided to support the project to restore the historic area to eighteenth-century glory. Now every year thousands of people flock to the community to tour the colonial buildings and absorb the history. Those who retire here often serve as guides for the tours or become interpreters.

As the Passenger to Paradise, I cannot think of a better destination for travelers. Have you ever visited Williamsburg? If not, it's a worthy place to add to your travel list.

10 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti .. talented lady .. and that's interesting to read about the history - then and now .. and the fact it's been restored .. one day I must visit! Cheers Hilary

Joanne said...

posting this. One of my favorite vacations was taking our then three year old to Virginia. It was slower paced vaca but since I was 8 months pregnant It was perfect for me! Blessings, Joanne

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Hilary and Joanne, for your comments. Williamsburg is a wonderful place to visit.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

I like finding out about places I've never been. Nice post.

Beverly Diehl said...

Took a school field trip to Williamsburg in elementary school, with my very first camera.

Every time I took a picture, I opened the back to make sure the film was still in there and winding through properly.

Oddly, when the film was developed, I had no pictures.

Murees Dupè said...

It sounds like a wonderful place. Thank you so much for stopping by and following my blog.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Wendy, Beverly, and Murees, for your comments.

Sorry you had no photos, Beverly, but I bet you learned a big lesson that day!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Would like to get there one day.

Anonymous said...

That was cool, thanks for sharing about your travels.

Anonymous said...

My husband proposed to me in the very spot you painted. Is a copy of this painting for sale? If so, how much? Thanks, Christy