Daddy's Christmas Angel

Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Z" Is For Zorachs, Unforgettable Artists from Maine

It's hard to believe that an entire month has passed, and the A to Z Blog Challenge is at the final letter "Z" which at first seemed difficult for the Passenger to Paradise. But it wasn't difficult after all because I remembered the famous American Modernists, Marguerite and William Zorach, and their home on Georgetown Island in Maine.

When our daughter attended a summer program for gifted young writers, she met and became friends with one of the Zorach great-grandchildren. We later took her to Maine to visit her new friend and had the unique opportunity to see where Marguerite painted and where William created his pieces of sculpture. Original art was on view all over the grounds and in the home of their son and daughter-in-law, Tessim and  Peggy Zorach. We got to see the wall murals, created by Marguerite, as well.

As an artist, I especially appreciated the opportunity to see original works by artists I had studied in college. Over the years after that, I corresponded with Peggy and enjoyed the opportunity to get to know her. Seeing the Zorach art gave me a new appreciation for Maine and for the contributions of the Zorach family there.

Thanks to all of you who made the A to Z Blog Challenge possible. Although I was able to visit only a few blogs each day, I plan to keep the list and continue my visits. Thanks to all of my new blog followers. I was delighted to almost double the number and cross over the 100 followers milestone.

8 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti .. those visits and communications must have been so special for you - very interesting family the Zorachs appear to be, and certainly seem to have inspired you.

Thanks for telling us about them .. is their house open? Cheers Hilary

Jeremy [Retro] said...

z all you can z... it's over and we all made it!
A to Z Blog Challenge Participant
Jeremy [iZombie]
izombielover.blogspot.com

Julie Flanders said...

Yay for finishing the Challenge, we made it! :)

I've so enjoyed your Passenger to Paradise posts, including this one. Thanks for sharing all of these fabulous places with us. :)

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Hilary, Jeremy, and Julie, for commenting. My Passenger to Paradise posts have brought back a lot of good travel memories!

Hilary, as far as I know, the house is still a private home.

Congratulations, All, for making it through the A to Z Challenge!

RaShelle Workman said...

How cool! =D

Chuck said...

Monti, as reciprocal 99'ers I congratulate you on the A-Z. I will have to regress and read some more of your earlier posts in the Challenge.

Glad you made it to 104 followers...alas I am stuck on 99 still. Good job!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Congrats on the 100 plus followers, Monti...

Another fascinating post about your travels....

You'll me seeing me for sure in the future.

Michael

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Elizabeth, RaShelle, Chuck, and Michael for your comments. Congratulations for completing an exciting journey through the month of April!