Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, November 16, 2012

Living a Crazy Week and Being Thankful for It

Colorado River - Grand Canyon   MMSikes
Revisiting the Grand Canyon last week was a wonderful, memorable experience. Now, with the crazy week since returning home, that special time seems like eons ago.

We flew back home on Saturday and, along the way in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport, we met two of our daughters who were returning from Australia/Tasmania. To see them there was exciting!

This week has presented amazing and memorable opportunities. Tuesday I made a talk about the life of a writer to the Christopher Wren Society at the College of William and Mary and enjoyed meeting some new, interesting people there. The next day, I read my short story, "A Face in the Window" from The Corner Cafe at the Chesapeake Bay Writers Club. That was a part of a showcase of readings by many members of the group. Happily, my story was exactly the eight minutes time limit each participating member was given. The meeting took place in Yorktown where outside stands a sculpture commemorating the surrender of Lord Cornwallis in 1781.

More events this week include delivery of wreath entries for the upcoming exhibition at the Glen Allen Center for the Cultural Arts. "Ring in the Season" will be on display December 1 - 31 at the Center. I'm looking forward to seeing what the wreath show is all about because I've never made this type of work before. Gallery One at Crossroads Arts Center has an opening of an exhibition of work by Metropolitan Richmond Artists Association which includes two of my mixed media paintings on Yupo. An all-day workshop, Advanced Encaustics, will end my week. No time for jet lag!

Tiring, exhilarating. Tennis, yoga, zumba, and tabata classes were part of the week as well. How can the Grand Canyon seem so long ago and far away?

I am thankful for the opportunities being an American and living in this beautiful land offer to me!

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You are busy! Glad you got to see your daughters.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Alex. You are amazing to keep up with so many folks!

Marian Allen said...

I finally got to see Mount Rushmore and The Badlands a few years ago. Now I need to put The Grand Canyon on my "bucket list". :)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Chuck said...

What a whirlwind you have going on...I love the Grand Canyon and hope to get there again in the near future. Glad you got to see your relatives at "my" airport :)

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Marian, the Grand Canyon is a must see! I haven't been to Mount Rushmore and the Badlands. I'll need to add them to my list! Thanks for commenting!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Chuck, I'm glad the last two weeks are over although they were wonderful. I need to regroup for Thanksgiving. "Your" airport was good to us that day!

Anonymous said...

After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.


[url=http://cheapnfljerseys168.iblogger.org/]Youth NFL Jerseys[/url]



[url=http://jerseys2013.html-5.me/]Texans Jerseys[/url]