Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, November 1, 2010

Near Death Experiences




"Mystical Embrace" MM Sikes

On the CBS Sunday Morning show yesterday, Katie Couric interviewed Dr. Raymond Moody. This interview was inspired by the new movie, "Hereafter," and by Halloween.

I like to watch this program each week because I usually learn something of interest or significance. During the Couric interview about Dr. Moody's work with near death experiences, a photograph of my dear friend, Dr. George Ritchie, flashed up periodically. George had a near death experience in 1943 when he was dead for nine minutes and had an incredible journey that was documented in two books that he wrote. One of those books was written and read chapter by chapter during a class he and I took at a local community college. Much of Dr. Moody's work was inspired by George Ritchie's story.

It was a little surreal to see the Ritchie photograph appear during this interview. His story has inspired some of the paranormal elements I like to include in my books, especially the "walk-in" aspect from my novel Night Watch.

And strangely enough, George Ritchie died near Halloween three years ago.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's wild you knew him!

Daisy Hickman said...

Well, coincidentally, Monti, also talking about the Clint Eastwood movie, Hereafter, in SunnyRoom ... my next guest, Roz Morris, was an extra in the movie. Her blog link is on my site for more about that!

Always a fascinating subject ... and the photo is exquisite!

Daisy @ wwww.daisyhickman.com

N. R. Williams said...

Near Death experiences are fascinating. It's wonderful that you knew someone with an experience. I hope he shared some inspiring things with you.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks for commenting, Alex, Daisy and Nancy. George was a fascinating man--a physician in Richmond for many years. He spent the last years of his life talking with groups about his experiences. I learned so much from him.