Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Q" Is For Quebec

"Chateau Frontenac" MM Sikes
Several years ago, we spent a marvelous vacation in Quebec. Everything about that trip was different and memorable. Because the Passenger to Paradise is intrigued by old hotels, we had to make a side trip to the Chateau Frontenac, a hotel I'd heard about over the years.

According to history the location of  Chateau Frontenac was discovered long before the 1892 first construction of the hotel that now stands high on a hill overlooking the city of Quebec. Samuel de Champlain built the first Fort of Quebec on the site in 1620 and so began a long and storied history of what has become a beautiful luxury hotel.

Another famous landmark, the Basilica of Sainte Anne de Beaupre lies 19 miles from Quebec City. The first church was built on this site in 1658. Although I am not Catholic, I was especially drawn to this cathedral that attracts a million and a half or more visitors and pilgrims each year. In fact, an angel prosperity metal, a souvenir of that trip, sits at the base of my computer screen to inspire me.

Inspirational trips, unforgettable journeys--what trips do you remember most? If another Hotels to Remember book ever comes about, Chateau Frontenac and the related side trips will be a part of it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it is a beautiful city.

Rhonda Albom said...

I visited Quebec about 10 years ago with my kids. It was a very interesting city. Good post for "Q".

Michael Di Gesu said...

I visited there as a kid. But I would love to stay at that stunning hotel now....

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Siv, Rhonda, and Michael for your comments. I haven't stayed at the hotel but got a very nice tour of it while we were vising the city of Quebec. I love the French feel of it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, those old hotels are awesome! Thanks for posting the photograph and links to others that I'll never see face to face. That sounds like a most wonderful trip.
Ann Carbine Best, Long Journey Home