Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I is for Iguana - Painting a Day

"Iguana Night" acylic painting ©Mary Montague Sikes

A to Z Challenge

For today, "I" is for iguana. I've never really wanted to run into these creatures that thrive in a different climate from where I live in Virginia. I considered doing an iris painting for this letter because I'm quite familiar with that subject. Instead I created a real challenge for myself.

This little painting is 8" x 10" acrylic on stretched canvas. I find I prefer to work on a larger canvas, but that takes more time and painting supplies. For now, I am using materials I already have in my studio. When I run out of canvases, I will go to my watercolor paper supply.

This is a fun challenge. Thanks to all of you who organized it!

12 comments:

Amy Sikes said...

What a cutie! Good for you for doing an iguana instead of an iris! :)

Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Amy! I'm glad you like it!

Grover said...

I really liked that you challenged yourself. Lovely painting (again!)

Grover
Inane Ramblings

Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Grover! The animals have been fun!

Julie Flanders said...

More amazing colors. I just love your paintings!

Paula Martin said...

Love the colours!

Visiting from the A-Z Challenge
Paula Martin

Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Julie!

Glad you visited, Paula. Enjoy seeing color with the "u".

Chuck said...

When I go to Roatan, Honduras next week I am going to visit an iguana preserve. Maybe you can paint one of my photos when I get back? After you rest from the A-Z work that is :)

This is a great medium for you (acrylic on canvas).

Chuck at Apocalypse Now

Jagoda said...

A Costa Rican iguana kept my husband and me company at lunch once. It stood very still, glaring at us as if to say, "Throw me a morsel, already, why doncha!"
Gorgeous painting--I like your color choices.
A to Z'er, Jagoda from http://www.conflicttango.com

Trisha F said...

You're a fabulous painter!

Billie Johnson said...

Love the iguana...when I was in Puerta Vallarta in Feb, iguana art was plentiful, since that is where the movie "Night of the Iguana" was filmed.

I love this little guy!

Sharon Himsl said...

Ahhhh. Isn't he cute?