Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for Seal - A Painting a Day

A to Z Challenge

"Seal Howling" - acrylic painting ©Mary Montague Sikes

For today, "S" is for Seal. I don't know much about seals. We saw a lot of them one day on a beach near La Jolla, California. They make a lot of noise. I guess you call it barking, but it seems more like howling to me.

I used photos taken by my daughter, Amy, on a trip to Tasmania for my reference material. This painting is 14" x11" acrylic on stretched canvas.

Hope everyone is enjoying the A to Z Blog Challenge. I'm learning a lot creating a Painting a Day for the Challenge.

6 comments:

Sally Carpenter said...

Your paintings are so creative! I have a possum by my house who drinks out of the outdoor cat water bowl and will eat the cat food if I leave it out (I make sure to bring the bowl inside soon as the cats have eaten). This possum looks like a giant rat with a long pointed snout. The possum is getting braver and I have to chase him off with a broom. There's also a big fat raccoon with a long bushy tail that I only see rarely after dark. I haven't seen any seals around the house, though.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That one is certainly barking!

Julie Flanders said...

I remember seeing seals at La Jolla as well. Love them. :)

lyndagrace said...

I am visiting from the A-Z challenge. I enjoyed looking at all of your paintings. They are wonderful.

Rhonda Albom said...

Wow, I am sorry I didn't find you sooner. This is fantastic. I know lots about seals - I used to work in a marine mammal rescue center. Wonderful painting. I am a new follower.
Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
Visiting from AtoZ #41

Amy Sikes said...

Another great animal painting!