Daddy's Christmas Angel

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Great Vacation Destinations for the Artist

Sedona Arts Center Classroom ©Mary Montague Sikes
If creative folks can't live where they would like, then they should at least vacation at places they will love. Professional Artist magazine has an article by Ora Sorensen about five fabulous places for art vacations. I was pleased to see that the Sedona Arts Center in Sedona, Arizona was one of the selected destinations.

"Stormy Skies over Sedona" ©Mary Montague Sikes
I've been visiting Sedona for many years, and last November I took a class at the Arts Center for the first time. Of course, I loved it. The big drawback for me was I had to ship my many art supplies needed for the class all the way across the country. Still, the glorious scenery of the Red Rock Country is worth all the other problems and disadvantages. All sorts of art classes are taught at the Center. This month there will be many artists giving demonstrations in drawing, painting, jewelry making, and much more.

Two of the other locations in the Sorensen article, the Bath area of Maine and the Aspen, Colorado area, are places I've visited and enjoyed for many reasons including the scenery.

The Hudson River Valley Art Workshops in Greenville, New York and Il Chiostro at the Tuscan Renaissance Center in Sienna, Italy both sound like wonderful artist destinations. They were the other two locations mentioned in the article. Both are places I've never been, but I know artists who adore the Tuscany area of Italy. The old Hudson River paintings are among my favorites.

As an artist or as a writer, do you have a special vacation destination? Have you been there more than once?



8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've never had an artist travel destination, although anyplace in the mountains would be cool. And I used to live in Arizona, so I know how amazing the desert is.

Marian Allen said...

My writers' group won a juried prize of a week's free stay in a cottage on Tybee Island, Georgia, just outside Savannah. Beautiful destination for writers, artists, or anyone! I'd love to go back sometime. :)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, Monty,

How lovely. How cool to experience an art class with such intense atmosphere. I'd love to do that sometime.

As a visual artist, so many places call to me. Even where I live. Beauty of nature can be found anywhere, even within a metropolis.

I live in Chicago and one of the most serene places for me to enjoy is the Lincoln Park ZOO... adjacent to it is the incredible Conservatory, where you can view orchids and exotic plant life even in 20 below weather. There is also a charming lily pond which is beyond tranquil and inspiring. I can sit there for hours. Imagine having these lovely oasis' just steps from my house.

Have a wonderful weekend!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I wonder how far up the list Asheville, NC resides?

Chuck said...

The desert is pretty amazing and I have been to Arizona in a few years.

I like your Sedona painting above.

Chuck at Apocalypse Now

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, the scenery is so different in the desert. It attracts artists of all kinds, writers as well. Didn't know you had lived in the desert. Thanks for visiting...

Marian, that is so cool your group won a week at Tybee Island. The Savannah area is another spot that attracts artists and writers. Guess those two groups go together!

Michael, I've never been to the Lincoln Park Zoo. It sounds like a wonderful place to visit and be one with nature. Love that kind of setting. Thanks for visiting.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Diane, Professional Artist magazine only listed five places. Asheville NC would be pretty high up on my list.

Chuck, the desert is quite opposite from those beautiful diving destinations. I enjoy the photography opportunities. Thanks!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monty .. sounds just lovely - I've always wanted to go on a cookery course for a few days in Tuscany - I can't paint .. but certainly would appreciate the beauty of the places you describe ... and yes your painting of the Stormy Skies over Sedona looks very stormy and sultry ..

Cookery destination for me! cheers Hilary