Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, September 27, 2013

How Do You Use News Articles to Promote?

"Fly Away" encaustic ©Mary Montague Sikes
Yesterday, I was pleased to have two different newspaper articles published about my work. A story on my art by Bob Parlier developed from an e-mail interview with him in early August. It was published in the Petersburg Progress-Index. The other, about my essay and poem in the Harboring Secrets anthology, was published in The Tidewater Review. Since all writers and artists need promotional opportunities to gain followers for their work, I started to wonder about the best ways to use these articles.

Putting links on Facebook and on Twitter have become standard for artists and writers. We add links on web sites and blogs. We send out newsletters. We make copies and file them away for display at future events.

This encaustic painting was in the Petersburg newspaper article. Art and photographs make a story more appealing and perhaps more usable for future promo.

Last year, I was interviewed about my Palenque art exhibition on the local CBS television station. I saved a link to the program segment, but never really used it for promotional advantage. I also have links to several radio interviews about my books.

There must be many more ways to put newspaper, radio, and television coverage to work than I have employed.

What about you?

How do you use events like these to your professional advantage?

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I guess I probably don't.
Congratulations on the two articles though!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Alex.