Daddy's Christmas Angel

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Teaching Artist Workshops - Mixed Water Media

This autumn, I'm teaching mixed water media workshops in different locations. Getting my materials together is exciting because it reminds me of all the amazing possibilities that exist for artists like me who love to experiment.

A few years ago, I took a workshop in Williamsburg with artist Mary Alice Braukman. Her approach thrilled and inspired me. She also introduced me to Yupo, a synthetic "paper" that allows paints to shift and flow in many unusual ways. Mary Alice made me realize that although I held a MFA in painting, I still had lots to learn. Because of my enlightening experience with her, I decided to take a different workshop every year.

In 2006, I first met Mary Ann Beckwith, and she introduced me to the Robert Doak pigments. Through Mary Ann, I learned that Doak creates these intense colors in his Brooklyn studio and that they are the most amazing colors ever. Since then I have worked in awe of the unique effects that develop when I use his paints in combination with Yupo. Not only is Mary Ann a gifted artist but she is a dedicated and caring teacher. She introduced me to fractals and to the photo a day astronomy web site. Those pictures from NASA have greatly influenced my work.
"Peace Anywhere?" ©Mary Montague Sikes

Other workshops over the years have inspired me. Robert Burridge showed me the way to orange underpainting, and my work grew brighter. Jan Sitts demonstrated the use of a variety of materials and mediums to build up a more sculptural surface on canvas. With layering, she reignited my love of the three-dimension.

A bit of learning from all of my teachers, including Thomas Thorne and Carl Roseburg from the College of William and Mary, shows through in every piece of my work. I suspect it shows through in my teaching as well.

Anyone who is interested in taking one of my workshops can let me know in comments or e-mail, and I will contact you individually. I can promise excitement and new experiences with art. Like me, you will never paint in the same way again once you experience these materials and techniques.

--Mary Montague Sikes

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sometimes the right teacher can spur us to achieve and learn more.
That painting has a lot of depth to it.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

True, Alex. Thank you.

Inger said...

Thank you so much for your kind words on Soldier's passing. I knew I would cry a lot after I posted about him on my blog today. Blogger friends are so kind and supportive.

I didn't know I was on your blog list. I have now added you to mine so I can more easily follow at least one of your blogs. You have many. Thank you again, Inger

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That painting is beautiful. I took enough classes (and learned from my aunt who taught painting) that I know how to use both oils and acrylics, but just the basics.

Misha Gerrick said...

I also want to start taking part in art workshops. But I'm struggling to find time. :-/

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Diane! Wonderful that you have that background!

Misha, hope you find the time. You won't regret it!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Inger, thank you for your follow!