Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas to All, My 2013 Angel

"Angel of the Sunlight" watercolor ©Mary Montague Sikes


Merry Christmas to All
Happy 2014!

About 10 years ago, I started creating an angel painting for each Christmas season. At first, I thought I would make many angel paintings, perhaps 500 by the end of the year 2012. I even started numbering the works. However, I soon realized I was not inspired to do this work. I truly believe divine inspiration is needed or there is no purpose. For the smaller, once a year body of work, there is inspiration and meaning.

Last year's angel, "Angel of the Holy Cross", was inspired by a visit to Sedona, Arizona and photographs I took of the Chapel of the Holy Cross. Last month, I discovered this drawing on Arches watercolor paper waiting for me in my studio. It was a forgotten drawing that I completed by using paint from nearly forgotten watercolor tubes and a gold paint pen. The painting became "Angel of the Sunlight". Perhaps this year's angel is inspired by the pending flip of the magnetic field of the sun. According to NASA, this reversal of the sun's polar fields happens about every 11 years and can affect cosmic rays among other changes. 

What better time to have an "Angel of the Sunlight"?

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very nice, Mary! Perfect timing I'd say.
Have a wonderful Christmas.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's pretty. Do you use it for your Christmas cards?

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Alex.

Yes, Diane. It's my Christmas card for this year. Thank you!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Monty,

Lovely... I love anything to do with light and angels are such a wonderful subject.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

All the best for the forthcoming year!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti .. an Angel for each Christmas time .. sounds a lovely way of remembering .. then what a lovely way of creating your Christmas card ..

I hope you're having a happy and festive time .. Hilary

Gina Gao said...

This is great! Have a great New Year!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Michael, thank you for loving angels and light. All the best for a wonderful year!

Thank you, Hilary! Happy New Year to you.

Gina, thank you for visiting. Happy New Year!