Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, February 21, 2014

Inspiration or Plain Hard Work - What's Your Choice?

"Airview" ©Mary Montague Sikes
Years ago, I decided to create a series of paintings of air views. My reference material came from my own photographs taken on commercial flights and pictures from a private plane, snapped by a pilot friend. Once I decided on the theme for my paintings, I suppose my inspiration was already there.

But people, whether artists or writers, do not always come to work inspired. Some days, inspiration seems far away. Thoughts are elsewhere; nothing is quite right even if you are painting work in a series.

What to do? Get to work anyway.

I admire this quote from the exceptional artist, Chuck Close, "Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work."

That is so true. If you consider yourself a professional and wish to earn a living with or just feel good about your craft, you need to show up for work. You cannot afford to wait around for inspiration that is not always going to be there.

"Heading into Glacier National Park" ©Mary Montague Sikes
What about you? Do you wait around for inspiration to strike or do you, as the Nike ads say, "just do it"?

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Every night I have been sitting in front of my keyboard and computer and just doing it.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Yea, Alex!

Unknown said...

Someone once told me that watercolor was like ballet--if you want to be really good you have to practice every day. Each day that I take off from painting sets me further back in the skills I have learned. I now find paint time every day. I already have a load of inspiration, paintings in my head that need to go on paper. Unless there's a deadline for a particular painting, I have an array of subjects from which to choose--things that have already inspired me.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Wonderful, Amy! That's excellent inspiration as well as hard work!