Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, April 21, 2014

"R" is for Rocky Mountain National Park

"Colorado Rockies" ©Mary Montague Sikes
Several years ago, when we visited Rocky Mountain National Park, I was caught by surprise as I walked along a trail in the snow. It was late June, and I had not expected snow. Obviously, I was younger and more naive. Now, snow, no matter what season, in the Rockies fails to surprise me.

The trees along the trail we followed in the park were green and picturesque. I don't recall the name of the trail, but it parallels the North Fork Colorado River and provides views of unforgettable mountain scenery. The rugged mountain terrain provided me with many photographs and side stories for my book, Hotels to Remember. We entered the park, which is north of Silver Creek and Highway 34, at the Lake Grand entrance. Visitors to the park this year will find the scenic Trail Ridge Road closed due to floods in 2013. That breathtaking road ascends to 12,183 feet.

Rocky Mountain National Park was established in 1915. More than 300 prehistoric sites have been found there at high elevations, from 8,000 to 13,000 feet. Interesting that this is another area that has been home to a human population for about 10,000 years.
"Colorado Rockies in the Summer" ©Mary Montague Sikes

If you plan to visit Rocky Mountain National Park this year, please check ahead of time about closed sections and roads under construction because of flood repairs. According to information on the park website, many bridges inside the park were washed out in the September 2013 floods.













7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Those ancient people picked a cold place to settle, that's for sure.

Unknown said...

I too love National parks and have posted about several this month. Check out: N is for National Parks, or later this week T is for trek about my trek to the bottom of the Grand Canyon as a Youth. Rocky Mountain National Park is one I have yet to spend much time at, but it looks beautiful!
http://livingwritingteaching.blogspot.com/2014/04/n-is-for-national-parks.html

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, it's interesting that there were many living in our country long before the English settlements in the East.

Diane, I'll check out your posts. Thanks for stopping by.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Good to know. We might possibly be heading there on the motorcycle this summer.
Play off the Page

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Mary,

Lovely pics... Never realized the Rockies elevated to that height...

And it is amazing to have had people living there so long ago.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Mary, wow, you are brave. Some of the mountain roads are scary in a car! Can't imagine what it would be like on a motorcycle!

Thanks, Michael. History lessons when I was a child in Virginia focused on the English settlements. I never even learned about the Spanish!

Julie Flanders said...

I'd love to visit the Rocky Mtns. Another place on my "someday" list.