Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

What's Behind a Book Title - Symbolism or Something Else

"Dragonfly" detail, acrylic painting ©Mary Montague Sikes
What's behind the title of my current book project? I started thinking about that last night when a friend at the Fitness Center where I workout asked about it. Dragonflies in the Morning is the title, I told her. Her face lit up and she wanted to know the meaning of my title.

It's complicated. It isn't worked out yet. There's lots of back story.

My book is a romance about relationships, danger, intrigue, and the death of a mother my heroine never really understood. The title is symbolic in many ways, some of which I don't yet know.

Worrying about the meaning of my title is a perfect topic for the insecure writer. There are too many questions. Too many ways this might go wrong?

Thank you Alex Cavanaugh for the Insecure Writers Support Group. It is much needed for writers of all levels. Perhaps we never cease being insecure.

Now I am waiting for the characters to take over. They are late in doing so.

What about you? Does the underlying meaning of your title concern you?

8 comments:

cleemckenzie said...

I'm rotten with titles. They come to me slowly or not at all. I've written an entire book with only NEW STORY as the name for it. Arrrg.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not very good with titles and there's certainly little symbolism in the ones I choose.

mooderino said...

Sometimes the title just feels right without really making much sense straight away.

mood
Moody Writing

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Lee, I love the idea of writing your whole book under the title of New Story. The title should be much more meaningful at the end!

Alex, I wonder how many people think of symbolism when they choose a title. I don't usually, but this title beckons symbolism.

Moody, great to have a title that feels right! Thanks for visiting.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You could say the subtitle of my series was symbolic, although it was rather obvious.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks for visiting, Diane. I like symbolic even if obvious!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Mary,

Gorgeous painting....

I love the title. Don't worry about it just write the story. The title will fit and if it doesn't, you'll find the right one.

Hope all is well. Have a wonderful weekend!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for your nice positive comments. Now I need to get back to work on the book!