Daddy's Christmas Angel

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

What Journalists Expect from Your Website


"Sunset at 35,000 Feet" ©Mary Montague Sikes
Do you have a website? I expect that most of you do, especially if you are promoting either your book or your art, or maybe both.

Perhaps you have something unexpected on your site, like my sunset picture that would probably seem out of place unless you are promoting photographs. But it could be an attention-grabber if you wanted to draw someone in to take a longer look. Sometimes it's good to feature a surprise.

If journalists are looking at your site to find out more about you, will they like what they see? Will they find all the information they need to write your story or to want to contact you for more. If you are an author or an artist, you need publicity to develop your brand, to become known.

Here are some thoughts about what you need on your website:

1. A brief description of who you are and what you do. Example: Mary Elevator Jones is the author of five dynamic adventure novels, including the acclaimed, Up to the Sky, which has spent nine months at the top of the New York Times bestsellers list.

2. A list of your latest releases, including books (with covers and Amazon and/or publisher links) and magazine articles (if you write them).

3. Your Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google Plus, and other contact information.

4. A short bio with photographs. Use large enough files (200 dpi) so the photos will be usable in an article written about you.

5. Your logo--get one if you don't already have it--, youtube videos (if you have them), book trailers.

6. Press coverage about you, including newspaper stories, radio, TV links, and anything else you think is pertinent.

7. Press releases about you and your work that are ready to use. Have pdf. and Word versions.

As I look at my list, I realize that I do not have all of this on my website. I need to take a look and add a lot.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't have any press releases, but I've got most everything else covered. Probably need to add the couple magazines articles I've done.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Good for you, Alex!!!

Birgit said...

I don't have a website at all but you give very sound advice here for anyone looking to sell their product whether it is a book, art or anything else

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Birgit!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've had so much press over the years - most of it in print, so I'd have to scan it in. But I do have a complete press room otherwise and I list all of my radio and TV appearances by date even if there is not link or content.

A complete press room is so important. If someone has to track you down for more information, they might not cover you at all.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - there's so much more to things than we realise ... the most important is to get going and then incrementally add all the things we need ... thanks for working this through for us ... cheers Hilary