Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, September 18, 2017

We Can't Control the Weather

Island Club 2016 ©Mary Montague Sikes
A few weeks ago, I thought I had everything figured out--book events and art happenings. We would drive down to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, enjoy the beach and favorite restaurants for a few days, then I would teach two three-day workshops at the Art Academy. It would be fun. I looked forward to expanding my wings with cold wax as well as exploring more mixed media with students. During our time at Hilton Head, I hoped to learn to play pickle ball on the beautiful Island Club tennis courts.

At the end of the week, we planned to get on the road for four hours, heading down to Valdosta, Georgia for a book signing and children's program for An Artful Animal Alphabet. I would get to know my new publisher and visit an Art Center. What could be more perfect?!

Well, as you know, Mother Nature in the form of Hurricane Irma had other plans. Our resort, Island Club, in Hilton Head was closed and the road entering the community, blocked. Although we hoped to get part of our week's vacation, we learned that the resort would remain closed for the rest of the week and some units for this week as well. In addition, the bookstore in Valdosta suffered some water damage, so that signing event was cancelled as well.
Hyatt Windward Point Key West ©Mary Montague Sikes

We are glad we chose Key West over Sedona for a vacation trip in May. Windward Point was beautiful then, and I suspect the lush palm trees and green grass are lush and green no more. And, too, I wonder about the fascinating pieces of sculpture that greet visitors as they land at the airport and later as they stroll the streets, drinks in hand. Could they have survived? I hope, but I doubt. Perhaps with damage.

We make plans. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. We can't control the weather.

Perhaps one day ...

Seward Johnson sculpture Key West ©Mary Montague Sikes


4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sorry the hurricane messed with both events.

Birgit said...

Well, that sucks but I'm glad you are ok. Let's hope the next time, there are no weather events like this one. I hope the sculptures did aurvive

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti- it's the way of nature isn't it ... just sorry it's happened to you - but those in its path are so badly off ... or in the path of the new storms on their way ... not an easy season at the moment. Take care - all the best - Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm so sorry. We've been watching the hurricanes as I have a big book event this weekend and fingers crossed nothing comes our way then.