Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Portals Lead Us Away - A to Z Blogging Challenge


"Raining on Sedona Rocks" ©Mary Montague Sikes
"Portals Lead Us Away" is my message phrase for today's A to Z Blogging Challenge. I love portals. I've stopped and photographed many of them. I've painted dozens, including my favorite "Portal to Forever" which was inspired by the jungle-covered Mayan ruins at Palenque in southern Mexico. I thought of using that acrylic image for today's painting but decided instead on this cold wax art work.

"Raining on Sedona Rocks" is a small painting on Arches paper for oils. It is perfect for today's phrase because of the portal at the upper right leading us from the rain and rocks. The cold wax/oil paint mixture features several different textures that I find intriguing. I wish you could see the actual work close-up.

Where is the portal leading?

2 comments:

Birgit said...

This is very original and loving the earthy colours with the rainbow style in the upper left. I would be reaching towards that area if I were in this painting

Deborah Weber said...

I'm glad I found my way to your blog today. What a fabulous evocative painting.