Daddy's Christmas Angel

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Bringing People to Your Blog

You've spent a lot of time. You've researched your subject, and you've written a wonderful, informative post on your blog. But no one visits. No one comments. How can that be?

Several years ago, I started writing occasional blog posts, but no one ever saw them. No one came to visit. I had no followers.

That changed when I took the blog book tour class taught by Dani Greer. Her class was intense but productive. It turned my blogging life around. I just went to her Blog Book Tours site and found some of her excellent instruction there ready for review by anyone who visits. I hope you'll take a look.

During that class, I discovered a number of wonderful bloggers like Alex Cavanaugh who surely never sleeps because he comments faithfully on everyone's blogs, writes new blogs virtually every day, sees every movie known to man and reviews most of them, writes books, has blogfests, etc., etc. I would love to be like Alex, but my life appears to be too scattered.

Here are some tips I have learned that can help one become a better blogger:

1. Focus. Pick a topic and become known mostly for that topic. Alex is known for his movie reviews. And, no, scattered is not a good topic!

2. Visit the blogs of others. Follow the blogs you like.

3. Tweet about your blog and the blogs you follow.

4. Post regularly, even if it is only once or twice a week.

5. Write often about those things that will help others. Write sometimes about the things you love. Although I don't believe I have many artists among my followers, I sometimes cannot resist writing about art. Occasionally, I need to write about baseball as well. That's definitely breaking the rule on focus.

6. Join blogfests that interest you. You'll meet new people there and make friends. You'll expand your horizon.

7. Spend an hour a day, if you can, developing your blogging skills. If you can only spare 30 minutes, use that time to your advantage. It will be time well-spent.

8. Take a look at your blog statistics and see which posts attract the most visitors. I have never topped the number of visitors I got the day I posted my thoughts on the sudden ending to the Medium television series.

Good luck with blogging. It's an exciting way for a writer to touch readers.

If you have a chance, please visit the Night Writers blog where I am posting twice a month, 1st and 15th about travel.

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Aw, thanks Monti! I do like my sleep though. Those are all great tips. I've got another blogfest coming up that will give bloggers a chance to meet others.

Jan Morrison said...

All great tips! Thanks for the reminders. I'm blogfesting a bit too much but will find a balance soon I hope. See you around nablowrimo!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Alex. I signed up for it.

Thanks, Jan! Too much can happen! Good luck!!!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti .. there's so much we can do .. but it's always great to read others' tips etc .. - well done you for going off and learning more ..

Enjoy the Autumn .. cheers for now - Hilary

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Hilary. I still need eight days a week!!!

Enid Wilson said...

I think joining blog challenge can boost the followers figure a lot. But how many of them will continue to visit afterwards is debatable.

Agreed about Dani. The class was wonderful.

Every Savage Can Reproduce

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

I wonder about the followers as well. People get overwhelmed and just can't keep up. That's what happens to me!