Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, March 29, 2013

Same Title Causes Publishing Nightmare

The USA Today article about two books with the exact same title getting released within days of each other truly intrigues me. I have long known that the title means a lot--close to everything in some cases. The author of the story, Deirdre Donahue, implies that in this case the two titles released so close together may actually be a publishing blessing. After all, both books are getting lots of press because of the coincidental titles and release dates.

One of the two books--both are titled, Life After Life--is by Kate Atkinson and is the story of a woman born in 1910 who dies and is reborn again and again. It sounds like a reincarnation story which I love.

The title of these two books started me remembering Dr. Raymond Moody and his book, Life After Life, published in 1975.  Dr. Moody and my special friend, Dr. George Ritchie, collaborated on work at the University of Virginia. At the age of 20, Dr. Ritchie had his own encounter with death and returned from it to write about his experiences in his book, Ordered to Return: My Life After Dying. George created his book while taking writing classes with our mentor, Jane Deringer. He read each chapter as he wrote it to our class at Rappahannock Community College at Glenns, Virginia. While in this death experience, George saw events that came true in the future. He was amazing and so was his book.

The works by both Dr. Moody and Dr. Ritchie made me ever more fascinated with the subject of reincarnation. My interest was unveiled in my novel, Hearts Across Forever. This is my "what if" story about the "White Witch" of Rose Hall Great House. If I had never known George Ritchie, this book might not have been written. Amazing how people and events link together.
"Rose Hall Great House" pastel painting ©Mary Montague Sikes

Titles can drive the sales of books. But so can lots of publicity.

--Mary Montague Sikes


4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, I guess it's good for both authors.
All of my book titles are very unique - no other book even comes close.

Billie Johnson said...

Great comments, Monti!

And I have to say again, you do such a lovely job with your blog...all the interesting things on the side bars in addition to good posts...my compliments!

Billie

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, that's outstanding to have unique titles. Congrats!

Billie, thank you on both counts! Thanks for stopping by!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Mary...

Happy Easter to you too!