Daddy's Christmas Angel

Saturday, April 13, 2013

L Is For Lion - A Painting a Day

A to Z Challenge

"Lion King" - acrylic painting ©Mary Montague Sikes
"L" is for lion. My original plan was to create a painting of a lion sculpture at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas, using a photo I took there. As I started the project, I realized the image would not fit in with the rest of the series I've started for A to Z Challenge.

Today's painting is 14" x 11" acrylic on stretched canvas. For me, "Lion King" is the most intimidating of the creatures so far.

I am late posting it because yesterday I went to Petersburg to install a small art show in the Oak Antique Mall. For those interested in history, the store is located in the Old Town area where the Lincoln movie was filmed last summer. It's three blocks from the Petersburg Regional Art Center where I have two gallery spaces to display some of my artwork.

Monday's post in the A to Z Challenge will be the halfway point. Congratulations to everyone involved! Thanks to those who came up with the idea and followed through on it.


11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's cool about the film location.
I like this one! The small color range works well for the lion.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Alex. A photographer with a studio at PRAC next to mine took tons of photos of the Lincoln film shoot. He got in past guards in late afternoon for some great shots.

Chuck said...

You really get it right with the eyes of this animals. Another super piece of art.

Chuck at Apocalypse Now

Patricia Stoltey said...

Can't believe we're almost at the halfway point already. Time flies when we're having fun.

Now I'm going to scroll back through the rest of your posts to see what I've missed this month.

Unknown said...

I envy artistic people. Love the lion. :)

Nick Wilford said...

Very striking image. Really seems to jump out at you.

Trisha said...

Beautiful picture! I love all the great cats...including my own two 'great cats in small cat bodies'. hehe

Rowena said...

Lovely artwork! That's wonderful that you have your work on display too...congrats

Julie Flanders said...

Another great one! And congratulations on the art show, that's awesome. :)

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Chuck, thank you. Eyes intrigue me in paintings.

Patricia, thanks for visiting and scrolling.

Bames, thank you. Am glad you like the lion.

Nick, thanks for the visit. Lions are intimidating!

Trisha, cats are important "people" in a household. Bet your are amazing!

Rowena, thank you. I love to find new places to show some of my work.

Julie, thanks so much for following my journey through the alphabet with paintings.

A month of....Blog said...

This guy is my favorite so far! I like the look in his eyes...
A month of Blog...