Daddy's Christmas Angel

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Visiting the Artist Studio of Dorothy Fagan

"Talking about  journaling" ©Mary Montague Sikes
Last Saturday, members of the Chesapeake Bay Branch, National League of American Pen Women had the opportunity to visit the studio of artist Dorothy Fagan. What a special treat that was, not only for artists in the group but for the writers as well.

Over the years I have found that people who paint often also write, and Dorothy did not disappoint me. She talked about journaling as well as painting. She told about keeping a journal since the mid-1990s. To me, the journal is like my "gathering books" that I have all over our house, so I was especially delighted to hear about her experiences. Dorothy has "lucid dreams" and chronicles them in her journal.

Sitting in her studio, hidden in the trees, felt especially comfortable to me because my own writing studio overlooks white oak tree branches similar to hers, and the light that glistens on the trunks and leaves is the same. I found joy in the "feel" of the space and especially gloried in the splendor of sitting amidst creative women who experience the same delight I find in writing and in making art.

I can only wish now and dream of more time spent with those who love to turn words around and change the world with color. These are the people I long to know better.
"In the Fagan Studio" ©Mary Montague Sikes

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

She does have a really nice studio. Lots of light and a great view.

Birgit said...

I can't imagine life without art. If you live in an area where the leaves are changing colours, you must be inspired and just deeply moved by the power of Autumn. She has a great studio and my hubby would love it with all the windows since, he too, is an artist. I plan on speaking about his art before too long.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Artistic people usually dabble in several mediums.

I love her studio.

MJ said...

I'm so sorry that I missed this opportunity to spend time with my creative Pen sisters in Dorothy's beautiful studio. I too paint and write and keep journals that over the years, reflect living a creative life. I never thought about how many of us are drawn to both painting and writing and how we easily float between the two disciplines.