Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Dreaming Good Thoughts - Blogging Challenge A to Z

"Dreaming of Xanadu" ©Mary Montague Sikes
"Dreaming Good Thoughts" is my phrase for today's A to Z Blogging Challenge. This describes my painting on the left, "Dreaming of Xanadu". I love working with the intense Robert Doak watercolors on Yupo. The slick surface lets the paint move in special, often unexpected ways. That is the case with this art.

The turquoise color is one of my favorites, so you will see it often in my work. One turquoise section appears to be open to an unique view of some mystical place we don't really know. My painting features a surreal surface that describes Xanadu and my dream of it.

Trees are special images for me, and you see them on the right. I often wonder what the old trees in my woods have witnessed over the years. These trees see and know all. This painting is another in the series as I search to find Xanadu.

I would love to know what you see in "Dreaming of Xanadu". Does mystery abound in this unknown destination?

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It does have a strong, dream-like quality to it.

Birgit said...

I feel it is a portal and the shape on the right side is like an Asian gate one sees when one is ready to travel to some place unknown. I love the swirls with the colours-very imaginative.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I see the portal - maybe it goes to Narnia?

Anstice Brown said...

This is a really unusual piece. I like the colour turquoise too. I can see the trees and I also see a spider in the branches. The pink areas look like they have little streams running through-it reminds me of the human brain.