Daddy's Christmas Angel

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Yesterday is a Step to Tomorrow - A to Z Blogging Challenge

"Vision of Yesterday" ©Mary Montague Sikes
"Yesterday is a Step to Tomorrow" are my words for today in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. What a profound statement. Everything we do is somehow built upon our past, like it or not. Memories of the yesterdays in our lives remind us, teach us, guide us--the list goes on.

Today's painting, "Vision of Yesterday", is a little blurred, like our memories often are. This loosely-done encaustic painting on board is a waterlily floating on the surface of a pond, quietly living on the gentle water. It reminds me of a large acrylic painting on canvas I created years ago that I sold to a collector on the West Coast. I wonder where that piece of art now resides. That art from long ago yesterdays was a step that inspired this newer painting.

What do you see in this creation? What does it mean to you?

3 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - I'm thinking in words! Waterlilies always remind me of Monet's ponds ... they are gorgeous flowers ... but your words 'yesterday is a step to tomorrow'... yes I sit there along that journey - cheers Hilary

Birgit said...

I thought it was a photo at first! I thought you created this image from a photo tha you then c4eated in your IPad or something like that. I love this art piece because I thought it was the early morning sun captured on a cold spring morning on a mountain spring creek. Seeds from a tree have fallen and have slightly frosted over ready to take root down stream creating something new.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Hilary, I always love Monet's waterlilies. Words and art go together. Thank you.

Birgit, thank you for all the amazing comments. You see so much, and I enjoy hearing about your thoughts!