Daddy's Christmas Angel

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Organization Is Not My Strong Suit

"Studio Cart" ©Mary Montague Sikes
I have been blessed to have both a nice painting studio with a drawing room annex and a large writing office with numerous bookcases. Perfect for the artist/writer? Yes.

No. They should be, but they aren't because this artist/writer has never been organized. I have the perfect setups that any creative would adore. But when I think of organization, my mind races away to some far-away "neverland".

When I write, I organize thoughts inside my head, and an article usually materializes. Generally, a painting evolves on the blank canvas that I create on studio table or wall.

Years ago, a friend urged me to set up a filing system for my paintings. I started it with index cards inside a small filing box, even placing like color families together. There were not so many paintings then, so I got a reasonable start on the project. But then life got in the way, and my filing efforts failed.

Recently, I ordered a studio cart that has helped a lot with the organization of paints--watercolors and acrylics, texture-making objects, small papers, tapes, and much more. That's a huge help.

My paintings long ago outgrew the wooden slots created by the talented carpenter who built the studio addition to our house. All the slots are full and paintings are everywhere in our house.

I love making large paintings, but I have not painted a 4 x 6-foot canvas in quite a while. They are hard to transport and to store.

My website features many of my paintings, but not nearly all of them. My metal file of large storage drawers holds dozens of watercolor and pastel paintings. None of those have ever been photographed, so they cannot be on the website. I could use a full-time assistant.

Right now, I am wondering about resigning from some of the organizations to which I belong and withdrawing to my studios to create organization. If I spent part of each day with organizing projects, I might get somewhere.

What do you think? What is your plan for the organization of your work? Do you have hundreds of paintings in your studio closets and other places? I would like to know how you manage your art. Is there a secret?

4 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - I used to be organised years and years ago ... but now I'm vaguely so - but erratic ... good luck with whichever way you go - thankfully I don't paint (though wish I was that talented!!) ... Cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I helped my friend Kerri transport a painting that large. It's not easy.

I'd say organize now while you can. A little bit each day so it doesn't overwhelm.

BTW - I am scary organized. Always have been.

Alpha Assignment Help said...

Enjoyed reading the article above , really explains everything in detail,the article is very interesting and effective.Thank you and good luck for the upcoming articles




Assignment Writing Help

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Hilary, I have several different areas in our house that all need organizing in different ways. I would rather write or paint than organize anything!

Diane, I so admire your "scary" organization!