Daddy's Christmas Angel

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Witness Trees Stand Tall in the Forest

"Magical Forest" acrylic painting ©Mary Montague Sikes
"What stories could the trees tell?" is a question I have often pondered.

In our own yard, I suspect the many tall oaks and even some of the maples would have amazing stories to tell. Sadly, one giant oak fell during Hurricane Isabel about 15 years ago. Today, the massive trunk lies sprawling across the back of our woods. Is it a lost witness?

Earlier this month, the CBS Sunday Morning show had a segment about "witness trees".  They showed photographs of "witness trees" at Gettysburg, PA. Those trees are said to have given comfort to those brave men, many with only hours to live. The trees witnessed tragedy, horrendous death, and scarring of the landscape.

The "Grand Old Oak" saw bloody Civil War battles at Fredericksburg, VA. It provided shelter for Union soldiers who gathered under it. That tree still stands on the grounds of Brompton, home of the president of the University of Mary Washington, my first college and alma mater from which I received a B. A. degree in psychology. For that reason, the school is near and dear to my heart and so is the witness tree.

Yesterday, in looking through the matted pieces in my art bin at Crossroads Art Center, I found this little painting called "Crowd by the Tree". Now I plan to change the name to "Crowd by the Witness Tree". What do you think? This painting is watercolor on heavyweight Yupo.
"Crowd by the Witness Tree" ©Mary Montague Sikes

4 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I love the surreal beauty of it.

Birgit said...

I love your rendition of the trees in the first painting..bright and cheerful. Your second creation is so unique and full of colour with a deepness to it. I love it. I think, if trees could talk, they could tell us vivid stories...the bad, the good and the ugly

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Diane! That little painting definitely has a surreal element to it.

Birgit, thank you for your observations about the art.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monty - the Magical Forest ... so much could be created by the forest ... while the Witness Tree - just adds to your art work and brings an added meaning ... cheers Hilary