Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, January 3, 2011

Keep a Journal to Keep Up with New Year's Resolution Progress

Gathering Book MM Sikes
This morning the NBC Today show had a segment about keeping New Year's Resolutions. One suggestion was to maintain a journal, even if only to write a brief sentence concerning progress. A lot of resolutions are about losing weight. If you document a small weight loss of even one pound, it's more encouraging than seeing you have not met your goal of losing 10 pounds and giving up entirely.

I really like the idea of keeping a journal. If nothing else, journals help you remember what you've done throughout the year. Since I have a goal to write 5,000 to 7500 words a week for at least the first two months of the year, I want to document whatever progress I make in my journal. Some weeks I'll be lucky to write 2,000 words, but other weeks I'll write 10,000 or more. If it all evens out, I'll be in good shape.

A few years ago, an artist I admire and follow told about keeping a gathering book for her art ideas. I love that idea and now have my own gathering book. As a visual person, I like to print out photos that may inspire me in my future work and add them to my big hardback book. The astronomy pictures of the day are especially intriguing to me. Since I take many photographs myself, my gathering book contains quite a few of my own inspirations from nature.

To follow up on the journal idea, I think I will incorporate the journal notations in my gathering book. That will help inspire me. Also, seeing my photo collection at least once a week could offer additional writing inspiration for my new books.

What do you think about keeping a journal to document your resolution or goal progress? Do you have one already?

___________
Hope you'll take a look at the book trailers in Diane Wolfe's contest. Please go to Spunk on a Stick and vote. I'm hoping Night Watch will make it to the second round. First round voting ends tomorrow.

6 comments:

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

I have a journal but for writing I bought a 5x7 2pg per week calendar at the dollar store. Each day I enter the word count and maybe a few notes or sentences about the wip. I think it will help me to focus.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Good idea. It doesn't have to be anything fancy to record a word count. Wonderful way to keep focused on the prize!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a journal per se. I do keep tack of incoming and outgoing cash. Without doing this, lif becomes too convulted.

Daisy Hickman said...

The gathering book strikes a chord with me, Monti, in many ways. If you'd ever care to expand on the topic in any way (or incorporate related ideas), I'd love to have you as a guest in SunnyRoomStudio 2011 ... or a totally different topic is just fine! The marriage of art and writing could be intriguing! Just send me a DM on FB if the idea appeals. Best always, Daisy

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Stephen and Daisy, for your comments. I have several gathering books because I also use them to take notes in artist workshops.

Patricia Stoltey said...

A journal is a good idea. I bought a writing planner for 2011 which has room for notes about my progress, goals reached, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't written anything in it yet. :)