Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, January 7, 2011

Unclutter to Gain Focus

"Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and focus on ....." That's what I tell my art students every day at the beginning of each class.

Focus.

That's what we as creative people must do to be successful. And some of us need to unclutter our spaces in order to gain focus. But that's hard. It takes time that most of us do not have.

This morning, I was interested to read Annie Tobey's article in V Magazine for Women about her decision to unclutter her work space. Inspired by Feng Shui columns by Debbie Bowie, she'd been thinking about organizing her at home office for a while and is "thrilled with the results."

When I look around at my own work space clutter, I am overwhelmed. With each item moved from my desk, I run the danger of not finding it next time I need it. After all I've gotten used to digging into a pile at just the right place and pulling out a valuable resource. Is it possible to be too organized?

Not only do I have my writer's desks and bookcases inside my office, but I have an artist studio, a drawing room, and an art closet to manage. Thankfully, they are a little better organized than my writing life.

I wonder if other writers face similar troubles.
In my art studio
Does clutter detract from your focus? 

 *******
Night Watch book trailer is a finalist on Spunk on a Stick . Thank you to those who voted and made it a finalist. Thank you Diane Wolfe for creating this contest!

Please take a look at the trailers and vote. Here is the link to my Night Watch trailer which was created by Betty Ann Harris:

Night Watch You Tube

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can't stand clutter, so my desk remains rather empty.

N. R. Williams said...

I get a lot of help with clutter. From the husband bringing every scrap paper to bills in and dumping them on my desk to the grandchildren who want to gift me with toys and sit on my lap while I'm trying to work. LOL
I'd love to be more organized.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, maybe it's a male thing! Nancy, that's cute, and they grow up so fast!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

My desk is always cluttered. Maybe once a year I'll tidy it up but the clutter inevitably grows back. It's not a distraction (mostly).

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Lynda, it's not a distraction for me either because I know where things are! Thanks for commenting!

Mason Canyon said...

I'm so glad to know there is someone else who would not be able to find something if they move it from their pile. :) Good luck with your book trailer.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

I keep my desk small so the clutter stays at a minimum. It was h-a-r-d for me to organize my office. I wanted everything in reach. I found I don't need that.

Marian Allen said...

My office is not just cluttered, it's disasterated! My husband uses it, too, so I blame it on him. Totally unfairly, because it's all my junk. lol! It doesn't bother me; what I need to unclutter is my mind. I occasionally have to make lists of what I need to do next on which project. My husband just built some extra shelves for my pantry--I need some shelves for my brain!

Marian Allen

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Mason! I'm glad to know there are kindred souls traveling through life!

Mary, my space just keeps expanding. My husband brought up a card table for me to use for sorting, but that's now a part of the clutter. It's pretty sad!

Marian, I know what you mean about a cluttered mind. I suffer from that as well!!!

Daisy Hickman said...

Clutter, yes, is an issue in my writing space ... it's difficult knowing what to keep, what to toss, because writers live in a world of ideas. That's my excuse for today!
Thanks for the post, Monti; thrilled to be having you in SunnyRoomStudio this month ... Daisy

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Daisy! I keep wanting an 8-day week with the extra day for catching up!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Yes, my office is still a big mess in spite of all my intentions, and yes, the clutter distracts and disturbs me. Knowing that, you'd think I'd do something about it...

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Right now, I wish I didn't have my clutter because there's something important I can't find!

Thanks for you comment, Pat. Sigh!!!