Daddy's Christmas Angel

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fitness Makes the Cut

In the late 1980s, six Virginia artists created the "Woman as Muse" sculpture for the Virginia Caucus for the Arts. I was one of those artists, and my part of the expansive art piece that filled an entire gallery was "Physical Woman". The work was exhibited at the art museum in Roanoke, Virginia and was part of a national sculpture conference in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I chose "Physical Woman" because I already was seeing the need for writers and artists to have a routine of physical activity. Conditioning and playing tennis were also an important part of my lifestyle.

"If you have your health, you have everything," my mother often told me.

As with most other things, my mother was right.

Since the mid-1980s, I have kept on a regular schedule of exercise--step aerobics three times a week and tennis three times each week as well. Writers do a lot of sitting in front of their computers, so we need the physical break. I've found if you keep up a routine, you are less likely to break it. My fitness routine has helped me stay in good physical condition.

Although you may need to give up some writing or painting time, nothing is more important than good health. For me, fitness makes the cut.

Physical Woman
Do you make time for fitness in your life? I'd like to know. Really, how important is exercise to you?

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You bet! I work out at the gym four times a week. Great way to relieve stress, too.

Daisy Hickman said...

Hi Monti, excellent topic! I do yoga and walk Noah for most of my exercise, but often feel I should do more. Thanks for the incentive to keep moving ... ! --Daisy @ Sunny Room Studio

Jim and Karen Overturf said...

I wish I was as "regular" with my routines...

Fitness for me is finding a job that pays you for fresh air and exercise!

LOL!

Hugs, Karen

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Glad some of you are also working out. Yoga is hard. My husband does it, but I don't like dealing with the poses. Probably means I really need it!

Karen, I like you idea of fitness!

If I ever stop my routine, I'll probably never go back!!!