Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"E" -- The El Tovar, On the Edge of Wonder

Years ago, my husband and I took a cross-country trip from Virginia to California, and one of the stops along the way was the Grand Canyon where we stayed at the El Tovar. More trips followed for the Passenger to Paradise who never stopped being amazed by this rustic old hotel that opened in 1905 and sits right on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Sunsets viewed from the dining room of the El Tovar are dramatic and unforgettable.

I have visited the Grand Canyon and the El Tovar other times over the years and have taken many photographs, some of which I used to create working drawings for large acrylic paintings. The El Tovar became one of the 20 hotels in my coffee table book, Hotels to Remember.

A few years ago, a newspaper that carried an article I wrote about the El Tovar used the headline--"On the Edge of Wonder." I loved that headline which is so appropriate for this unique destination. Everyone should visit the Canyon one time and walk through the hotel to the dining room where magnificent windows reveal an unforgettable light display across multiple canyon facades..

8 comments:

Hannah said...

I've only ever flew over the Grand Canyon and it was amazing from there, I can't imagine how awe-inspiring it would be closer.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

The Grand Canyon is awesome viewed from the air! It's magnificent from any perspective. So glad it's mostly protected from outrageous development. Thanks for commenting, Hannah!

Unknown said...

I have been there and you're right, it's as amazing as you say.

Sylvia Ney said...

I would love to travel more. You are so lucky! I stopped by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

Talei said...

Ah, the Grand Canyon - quite spectacular. I visited a few years ago. Never forget the views. ;-)

Anonymous said...

As many times as Ive been to Arizona I have yet to visit the Grand Canyon. I even have relatives there. I feel kinda dumb that I have yet to go there.

baygirl32 said...

the edge of wonder, it sounds so magical

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Clarissa, Sylvia, Talei, Stephen, and baygirl for stopping by. Wonderful destination if you haven't been and if you have as well.