Daddy's Christmas Angel

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Where Are the World's Best Crab Cakes?

For many years, crab cakes have been my favorite entree. My mother made the most delicious crab cakes using back fin crab meat and no filler except egg to bind the meat together. Once when I was about 12, Mother was called away for an emergency, and I was left with crab meat to create cakes on my own. Since I didn't know what to do, they were a disaster and my father took me to a restaurant for dinner.

In recent years, I've tried crab cakes in a lot of restaurants. Often, they are made with too much filler and are more like bread or stuffing cakes. Since I've gotten used to the blue crabs found in the rivers off the Chesapeake Bay, it's hard to travel far and find good crab cakes. Early in the summer, when we were at Lake Tahoe, I ordered the crab and found it had a completely different flavor there. Once, I ordered the crab cakes in an Irish pub in Hilton Head, SC only to discover they weren't at all what I expected.

Back Fin of Williamsburg, VA usually has good crab cakes especially in the summer when back fin crab is abundant. Last week, I dined in Amuse Restaurant at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and discovered the best crab cake entree I've had in a long time.

I've never learned to cook crab cakes myself, but wherever we travel, I'll continue to try to find the world's best crab cakes.

What about your area? Do you have the world's best crab cakes?

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I wouldn't know how to make them and usually just buy what's at the store.
Just be careful if you ever order soft-shelled crab sandwiches. Offseason, they are very crunchy. Not good!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Alex! I don't care for the soft-shelled, but I love crab cakes!

Anonymous said...

I have never had a crab cake in my life. Weird, I know. I see them everywhere. I've just never had one. Or a knish (I think that's what they're called). I need to expand my eating horizons.

Michael Di Gesu said...

I adore crab and crab cakes...

The best of ever eaten were in Cape Cod...YUMM! The best seafood and lets take a quick drive up to Maine for those unbelievable lobsters.

Summers on the Jersey shore were always abundant with blue claws.... they are THE Best.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Stephen, the ones on the West Coast haven't tasted the same to me. If you get to the Atlantic shores, you must try the crab!

Michael, you are so right about those Maine lobsters. They are wonderful. The restaurant at Palm Beach Shores (in Florida) flies in Maine lobster for a lobster fest night while we are there for Baseball Spring Training each year.

Enid Wilson said...

Too tempting! I love crab too, in whole though.

Chemical Fusion

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susan Oloier said...

Yum! Your post makes me salivate. I love seafood and crab cakes. But
I live too far from the sea to get a decent crab cake.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Enid and Susan, thanks for your comments! For the best crabs, I think you have to come to the Chesapeake Bay area, but I haven't tried crab outside the US so I could be wrong!