Daddy's Christmas Angel

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Writers and A Writer's Conference in Las Vegas


Las Vegas seems an unlikely site for a writer's conference. At least it does to me. As you enter the city, the buildings shimmer with reflective walls and some of them lean with peculiar tilts that make you wonder what you've been drinking. Then, later as you pull your bags through the "lobby" you wonder even more. After all there are slot machines every place you look. There's an area with TVs displaying every horse race in the country, and there are TVs with every baseball game going on at the time. That's in case you want to bet on one of these events. Within the same complex you find more than a dozen movie theaters, a bowling alley, and another theater featuring the Poynter sisters for weekend shows. Las Vegas is truly amazing.

Still, for four straight days last week, members of the Public Safety Writer's Association were able to forget all the glitz and concentrate on some wonderful talks, presentations, and panels. We learned about dialog, editing, promotion, forensic evidence, writing with a partner, changes in publishing, setting, movie writing, police psychology, and much more. And we heard it from the experts. All the while we wandered through the unique sights and sounds that make Las Vegas special. 

The writers learned a lot and came away ready to tackle anew the world of often not so glamorous publishing.

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I say what better place to have it! Lots of characters to observe in Vegas.

Michael Di Gesu said...

I agree with Alex. I lived there for three years and BELIEVE me there are LOTS of characters.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti .. sounds an interesting place to hold a conference - could be distracting, but sounds as though it wasn't. Glad you enjoyed it all ..

Why is it called the Public Safety Writer's Conf .. (Safety - is the word that interests me!)? ...

Cheers Hilary

cleemckenzie said...

Nice contrast, I'd say. Thought-provoking meetings, then sparkly and distracting Las Vegas. Glad it worked out to be good.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex and Michael, you are so right! Wish I had had more time to just sit and people watch.

Hilary, many of the writers are retired or active police or firefighters or others who watch out for public safety. Many others write police stories, NCIS, CSI, and that type of thing. Many are from California and involved in movies as well as books. My publisher, who attends the conference, has several authors who write books with those subjects. I don't, but I learn a lot from those who do. Good question.

Thanks, Clee. It was fun and interesting.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti .. just to say .. I emailed you re your query on my blog .. H

Helen Ginger said...

I have a love-hate relationship with Vegas. Love going to one of the big shows, but I don't gamble so the rest of Vegas is rather wasted on me. A writing conference would definitely be a reason to go, though!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Helen, for your comment. I know what you mean. I feel the same way!