Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, November 21, 2011

I Have a Magic Wand

I have a magic wand. The way I obtained it is a magical story all by itself.

Two years ago, we visited Carmel-by-the-Sea on the coast of California. This is an enchanting, unique area with some of the most gorgeous scenery I've ever seen. While touring several of the shops that populate the lovely village, I decided to enter a small jewelry store, Robin's Jewelry. While in the shop, I spoke with a charming young woman who was creating some of the items for sale there. Then, all of a sudden, I realized it was getting close to sunset and I wanted to go into the nearby state park to photograph the setting sun amidst a spectacular background.

As I headed to the door, the young woman followed me. She said that she had something for me and then handed me a silver-colored wand formed from heavy aluminum wire. A swirl of pink and blue ribbons floated at the end. I was both surprised and delighted.

"Carmel Sunset" MM Sikes
Even the glorious sunset of which I took dozens of pictures was no match for my gift of a magic wand. You see, I brought my wand back to Virginia and have used it in my art classroom ever since. My elementary school children love to close their eyes and make a wish before they leave my room. Touched by an amazing California magic wand, who knows how many special wishes have come true?

I wonder now how a stranger knew that I needed a magic wand. She surely has the kindness gene and has passed along an abundance of magic sprinkled over the heads of smiling little boys and girls a continent away.

Magic and dreams. I'm glad I have a magic wand.

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That was a special gift and one that was meant to be! Bet your students love it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti .. what a lovely story to read .. magic wand - now I wonder how many more art teachers will be whizzing over to Carmel - to check this wonderful little shop out.

Magic wand and whirring colours .. I can imagine the kids will love the stories you tell with it and they dream about afterwards ..

Such fun - Happy Thanksgiving .. Hilary

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Alex and Hilary.

I love the magic wand and the wonder that it spins! My fourth graders just asked to be touched by the wand before they left class for the Thanksgiving holidays!