Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, January 20, 2012

Turn On Your Creative Self

Milwaukee Art Museum  MMSikes
How many creative people do you know? How many are super creative? I'm talking about folks who never seem to lack for ideas--those who are forever inventive.

This morning I watched Charlie Rose interview George Lucas. We first knew him as the Star Wars genius, and, of course, he's gone on from there to ever-escalating success. No doubt, Lucas has more projects in mind than he has years left to create them. It was enlightening to hear him talk.

Who does not marvel at the genius of the artist who created the Quadracci Pavilion at the Milwaukee Art Museum? This masterpiece spreads its glorious wings at certain times each day, and crowds gather to photograph this magnificent spectacle. Santiago Calatrava is the artist behind the creation of this amazing structure.

Like these brilliant men, each of us has creative potential, but how do we turn it on? We have only to use our imaginations, and everyone of us can do that.

Here are my tips to turn on your creative self:

1. Close your eyes and focus on an object or a shape that intrigues you. Perhaps it's a star or a circle. Take a deep breath and see what else comes to mind. Focus once again on your star.

2. Now, open your eyes, and take a piece of paper. Let new ideas flow through your pen. Perhaps a poem will come to you or the beginning thoughts for an essay. Write them down.

3. If you are an artist, stand before a blank canvas and visualize the new image you want there. Imagine the colors and the flow of the brush. Make a thumbnail sketch.

4. Keep a book filled with the new ideas that come to you, the poems, the story ideas, the paintings, even visions of new inventions. Each week turn one of your ideas into realization. It can be another chapter in your book or a new addition to your portfolio.

You can become the next creative genius. Just allow the ideas to flow...

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Letting my creativity flow! (Although I'm not a super creative person.)
Now I'm off to check out that pavilion.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks for commenting, Alex. I believe you are super creative, probably you just don't recognize the signs!

That pavilion is absolutely astonishing...

April said...

What a wonderful idea! I will pass it on. Thanks for sharing!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks for your enthusiasm, April.

Marian Allen said...

Thanks for the creativity exercise, Monti! I'm going to use that. I need to center myself before I start writing; I can sense that, now. You rock!

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Anonymous said...

Monti,
Thanks for the great tips! I'm going to keep my notebook handy.

Daisy Hickman said...

Wonderful ideas, Monti ... creativity untapped is just waiting for expression. I like your approach!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Marian! You rock as well!

We all need to center, but most of the time we are in too much of a hurry.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, M.T. It's great to keep a notebook handy. I find I never have enough of them!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Daisy, for stopping by. I always welcome your comments.

Helen Ginger said...

Great suggestions. I esp recommend the jotting down of ideas. I would have forgotten so many of them if I hadn't done that.

Helen Ginger

vinnie said...

Question for the creative minds. Is it also necessary to posses extreme confidence?

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Vinnie and Helen, for your comments!