Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, February 25, 2013

Tell Your Friends You Care

"Journey in the Sunset" ©MMSikes
Life is a fleeting moment in time. Things change. People go away. They die.

And it all happens so fast.

I think of how slowly time passed when I was a child. I wanted very much to be a grownup, and it took so long to happen. Now one Christmas turns into the next. Time flies.

We get swept up in the rush of life and forget to notice the people passing by. Then, all of a sudden, a job is lost. A friend dies. Change happens.

That's when we wonder about the passage of time.

It happened last week. Jean Keating, an author who along with three others and me wrote the book, Published! Now Sell It, passed away. She was bigger than life, and I can't imagine that her book event appearances, along with Puff her Pappion dog, will be no more. I admired her ability to get things done and her marketing savvy. I enjoyed seeing her and talking with her, but I never told her. Now it is too late.

Authors die. You lose more than the person, you lose the next book.

Change is one thing we have for certain. Wait a moment. Things will change.

Don't wait a moment to tell a friend you care. Don't wait to tell a writer or artist how much you admire his/her work.

You may not get another chance.

--Mary Montague Sikes

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your friend, Jean.

Life indeed gallops by at a rapid rate of knots. And yes, we should all slow down occasionally to say 'I love you' or just a simple 'hello.'

But of course doing just that would mean that we, and those that we love, are aware of our own mortality. A sad fact of life that none of us like to admit - or talk about.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm so sorry you lost your friend! Life is short and we lose so much when a person dies.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you for stopping by, Wendy. Yes, we do not want to face our own mortality.

Alex, we lose more than we ever expect to lose, and it is hard.

Unknown said...

I think that your friend is somewhere very happy that her last loving gesture to you was a deeper appreciation for life.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Cairn, thank you for your insightful comment!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Cairn, thank you for your insightful comment!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Sorry to hear about your friend, Monty.

I KNOW EXACTLY how you feel. Time does pass quickly and we must express our true hearts as often as we can.

But I honestly believe your friend knows how you feel. Just because they leave their body, the spirit live on and sweeps through the hands of time.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Michael, I really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you for sharing them!

Sharon Himsl said...

Hi Monti. I just nominated you for the Liebster Award over on my blog :) Sharon

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Sharon, thanks for your nomination of my blog. I'm heading to yours right now to check it all out.