Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I is for Iguana - Painting a Day

"Iguana Night" acylic painting ©Mary Montague Sikes

A to Z Challenge

For today, "I" is for iguana. I've never really wanted to run into these creatures that thrive in a different climate from where I live in Virginia. I considered doing an iris painting for this letter because I'm quite familiar with that subject. Instead I created a real challenge for myself.

This little painting is 8" x 10" acrylic on stretched canvas. I find I prefer to work on a larger canvas, but that takes more time and painting supplies. For now, I am using materials I already have in my studio. When I run out of canvases, I will go to my watercolor paper supply.

This is a fun challenge. Thanks to all of you who organized it!

12 comments:

Amy Sikes said...

What a cutie! Good for you for doing an iguana instead of an iris! :)

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Amy! I'm glad you like it!

Grover said...

I really liked that you challenged yourself. Lovely painting (again!)

Grover
Inane Ramblings

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Grover! The animals have been fun!

Julie Flanders said...

More amazing colors. I just love your paintings!

Paula Martin said...

Love the colours!

Visiting from the A-Z Challenge
Paula Martin

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Julie!

Glad you visited, Paula. Enjoy seeing color with the "u".

Chuck said...

When I go to Roatan, Honduras next week I am going to visit an iguana preserve. Maybe you can paint one of my photos when I get back? After you rest from the A-Z work that is :)

This is a great medium for you (acrylic on canvas).

Chuck at Apocalypse Now

Jagoda said...

A Costa Rican iguana kept my husband and me company at lunch once. It stood very still, glaring at us as if to say, "Throw me a morsel, already, why doncha!"
Gorgeous painting--I like your color choices.
A to Z'er, Jagoda from http://www.conflicttango.com

Trisha said...

You're a fabulous painter!

Billie Johnson said...

Love the iguana...when I was in Puerta Vallarta in Feb, iguana art was plentiful, since that is where the movie "Night of the Iguana" was filmed.

I love this little guy!

Sharon Himsl said...

Ahhhh. Isn't he cute?