Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, April 15, 2013

M is for Macaw, a South American Parrot - Painting a Day

A to Z Challenge

"Macaw Bright and Bold" acrylic painting ©Mary Montague Sikes



Since my love affair with the tropics began years ago, I've been compelled to photograph and paint parrots. The Macaw is a bright and very colorful parrot native to South America. A Florida resort that we visit annually has several of these birds scattered in cages throughout the pool side area. Besides being beautiful, they possess an awful squawk. The birds can be heard from far away. It is quite disconcerting to be next to a cage when the Macaw cries out.

This little acrylic painting is 8" x 8". It is the thirteenth work of art I've created in my Painting a Day challenge for A to Z.

Hope everyone is having fun and doing a lot of blog hopping. Unfortunately, the painting is claiming more time than I expected, so I haven't hopped a lot. However, I'm truly enjoying the new menagerie inside my studio!

11 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

I can only imagine what your studio must be like with all of these colorful paintings around. Parrots are so beautiful, their colors just amaze me. :)

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Julie. These are much smaller pieces than I usually paint. They appear a little lost among the 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 paintings.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Brilliant colors! You will have a whole zoo series when you finish.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, perhaps I will. Thanks!

Tina said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait for the Challenge to be over so I can visit each blog I like and read their whole series! Thanks for your supportive comment and follow at Life is Good!

Tina @ Life is Good
Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
@TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

Anonymous said...

Lovely colors! Also, that's a lot of paintings.


Sonia Lal

Aimee Laine said...

So, cool! Love that!

Nick Wilford said...

You're doing an amazing job by painting as you go! Love the colours!

Botanist said...

The colors really pop in that painting. One a day? Good going!

Chuck said...

That painting looks a little more abstract and I really like how turned out.

Don't know if I'll see any parrots next week on vacation but I will sure be on the look out!

Chuck at Apocalypse Now

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Tina, thanks for coming by. Reading everyone's series sounds like quite a project but interesting!

Sonia Lal, thank you! It is a lot.

Aimee, thank you. Love your name. One of the characters in my first novel, Hearts Across Forever, is Aimee!

Nick, thank you. It gets a little overwhelming when life gets in the way.

Botanist, thanks for stopping by!

Chuck, hope you see some on vacation. This one feels more impressionistic to me. Sometimes the paint just works that way!