Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, July 19, 2013

Poetry to Treasure

Although I enjoy poetry and sometimes write it, I don't often pick up a book of poetry and read it. That's what makes The Embrace: Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo by Carolyn Kreiter-Foronda so special. I opened this book and discovered a treasure.

Kreiter-Foronda has put her heart and soul into this very special volume. She went to the museums in Mexico City where gigantic murals by Diego Rivera were on view and studied them. She then visited La Casa Azul, the house in Mexico City where Frida Kahlo was born. The flavor of the possessions she saw there fill the lines of her poems with emotion. Her words tremble, and the reader feels them.


The poetic connection with the paintings by these two famous artists is unforgettable. The tumultuous relationship between Rivera and Kahlo cries out from the poetry of this talented writer who was Poet Laureate of the Commonwealth of Virginia from 2006 to 2008.

Do you like poetry? Poetry and art combined? If so, please take a look at this book.

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Several of my blogger buddies post poetry and I read that, but I've never read a book of it.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I haven't read many, but if there are visuals, I might enjoy it.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, I understand.

Diane, there are some visuals in this one. I like the cover as well!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mary .. interesting you post about this ... the Royal Academy are putting on "Mexico: A Revolution in Art" til end Sept ...

I had noted and intend to go and visit ... the description is given as:

Blood, sweat and paint: Mexico's art revolution ... the Mexican Revolution of 1910 sparked an explosion of artistic creativity, most famously in the vivid murals of Diego Rivera.

I had a look at the book on Amazon ... I think I'll wait to see Exhibition and what's on offer there ...

But this sounds some poetry to treasure as you note .. cheers Hilary

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Hilary, for the great information. Bet Carolyn would like to see this show!