Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, August 5, 2013

All Wrapped Up in a Bow - Hotel Del Coronado

 

"All Wrapped Up in a Bow" - ©Mary Montague Sikes
In celebration of the 125th anniversary of the opening of the Hotel Del Coronado, the  famous cupola that adorns the old Victorian wooden structure is all wrapped up in a golden ribbon with a bow. What an amazing sight!

The Del is one of my favorite hotels. A few years ago, when I first viewed the charming and picturesque grounds, I was captivated. After searching for a while, I found a location on the grounds that was especially appealing and created my own painting of the Hotel Del Coronado.

"Hotel Del" pastel painting ©Mary Montague Sikes
When we revisited the Del earlier this summer, I had a little trouble finding that exact spot in the trees and gardens. Because it was summer, there were crowds everywhere which made things look a little different. Still, I loved the setting and the view. I can understand why Frank Baum, author of The Wizard of Oz, was so inspired by the fantasy building that he created the Emerald City for his book. Baum also designed the remarkable light fixtures in the Crown Room of the hotel.
"Crown Room Lights" ©Mary Montague Sikes















As I was walking along a pathway, I had the chance to photograph the Crown Room lights through the dining room window. The result is an unusual picture of the lights Baum designed with the trees behind me reflected in the glass.

What a spectacular, festive place to visit no matter what the season. I haven't been to the Hotel Del during Christmas, but I understand a visit during that holiday season is very special.

What about you? Do you have a favorite fantastic hotel?

"Hotel Del from the Beaches" ©Mary Montague Sikes



(The Hotel Del is part of the book, Hotels to Remember. Giclees on archival paper of the Hotel Del are available from the artist.)

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your painting is awesome, Mary! What a cool looking hotel.

S.B. Lerner said...

Beautiful pictures. I usually travel to see a 'place' but I like the idea of going just for the hotel. Hope I get there sometime.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, thanks! The Del is definitely a "hotel to remember"!

S.B., thank you for visiting. It's fun to discover special hotels like the Del.