Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Finding Kindred Spirits--Artists and Writers

While I was visiting the Sedona Arts Center recently, I was drawn to two unique and beautiful glass tables created by artist Joanne Hiscox. A notation next to the tables told how this artist was working on these creations when the 19 Arizona fire fighters died in the recent tragic fire. Hiscox is donating all proceeds from the sales of the two tables to the families of the Granite Mountain Hot Shot crew.

"Sedona Vision" Copyright Mary Montague Sikes
I was impressed by the art and by the concern and generosity of the artist. I was also impressed by the volunteer at the Center, Mary Heyborne.A poet and a ceramic artist, Heyborne has some of the most beautifully-crafted pottery I have seen anywhere on display at the Center. Her sculptural background is evident in her work. Also, her love of poetry glows from within the forms of her pieces.

As we chatted, I learned that Heyborne is the author of three books of poetry. Although I don't usually purchase poetry, I was drawn to buy one of her books, and I'm glad I did. Words and Other Lovers is filled with emotional words and poetic visions that left tears streaming down my cheeks. The cover on her book features one of Heyborne's unique pieces of pottery that was formed from castings of her own face.

I found that as often happens, I discover kindred spirits in unexpected ways. Artists and writers are kindred spirits. Often creative people possess both talents. Discovering one of them is indeed special.


8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's nice of the author to donate the proceeds for her table sales.
I think most people who are artistic are that way in many areas. We just have to discover which ones.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Alex. You are right. And, of course, music is one of those creative arts!

Chuck said...

That was nice for those fallen firefighters. What a tragedy.

I love your picture of Sedona. Very nicely composed.

That sculpture is pretty amazing.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Chuck. I love the cover photo for her book!

Unknown said...

Mary, Thank you for your kind words about these two wonderful artists, Joanne Hiscox and Mary Heyborne. Both not only do wonderful art that speak to our patrons but bring so much to the community at large.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Shirley. How wonderful to have artists who contribute to the entire community.

Julie Flanders said...

I love the cover of that book. Obviously a very talented artist!

Unknown said...

So, as i am here on this amazing site I wanted to say that your site is completely superb! We’re interested in starting a volunteer community initiative in this niche. The tips on your blog were extremely helpful to us, as it gave us something to work on. Thanks.

Family villa havana