Daddy's Christmas Angel

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"Y" is for Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks

"In Yellowstone" ©Mary Montague Sikes
Yellowstone National Park. Yosemite National Park. For me, both of these expansive and beautiful parks are intriguing.

We've visited Yellowstone which was established in 1872 as America's first National Park. Home of the most geysers in all the world, the park is worth a trip there just to view these scenic natural phenomena.

When we flew into Sacramento CA a couple of years ago, we had planned to drive down and take Highway 120 through the park. Although it was early June, the road was closed due to snow. The park alert shows the road is closed now, but expected to open sometime in May. We were disappointed and hope to return to the area and actually visit Yosemite.

Vernal Fall and rainbow
"Vernal Fall" National Park Service Photo
Known for its waterfalls, Yosemite was first protected as long ago as 1864. The park encompasses 1200 square miles and in photographs appears much more rugged than Yellowstone.

Yosemite National Park is definitely on my list of places to visit. Yellowstone is on the list of National Parks to revisit.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I was a kid when we visited Yellowstone, so I'd like to go back as an adult and see it.

Unknown said...

I've never been there, but would love to go.

Nick Wilford said...

My parents visited Yellowstone (or Yosemite, or possibly both... oops) on a US road trip and had a close encounter with a mummy bear, which was a bit hairraising. Nevertheless, I'd love to go. Stunning scenery!

Unknown said...

I haven't traveled much out west. Being from the East Coast, I've pretty much stayed here. Yellowstone and Yosemite do look like gorgeous places to visit, though! I may have to change my direction of travel :D

I thought I clicked the follow button a bit ago, after you visited my blog thanks to Alex's post. Whoops! Following now :D

Jen

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, we want to revisit as well.

Melanie, it's worth planning ahead to make the trip!

Nick, that would be quite a frightening encounter. Despite the animal possible dangers (buffaloes as well), the scenery is spectacular.

Jennifer, thanks for the follow! We're on the East Coast as well, but I am so drawn to the West!

Donna Sexton said...

I've always wanted to see Yosemite. We were very close a couple of years ago but the road entering the Park from the east was still closed because of snow. We did manage to see Bodie (an amazing preserved ghost town).