Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, June 9, 2014

Be More Specific With Your Goals

"Soar Like an Eagle" ©Mary Montague Sikes
It's that time of year when you start wondering whatever happened to my New Year's resolutions. They are so inspiring when you write them. They give you a special kind of energy at the beginning of a hopeful wonderful year. But, by now, time has sapped the energy, and the inspiration might be little more than a memory.

That's what happens in many, perhaps most, cases. The dream is there, but the means to fulfill it is lacking.

Why?

According to a blog I read today by Michael Nichols, it's the specifics that are missing. Nichols points out that making your goals more specific can provide the energy and momentum you need to accomplish your goals. That is the secret.

What a great idea!

It's like my writing mentor, Jane Deringer, used to tell me. Be specific in your descriptions as you write and revise your novel. Be specific in the details you give in your story.

The journalist is urged to use what, when, how, and why as they write an article for publication. It's like an outline for your life.

Be more specific, Nichols says. 
  • Be specific in exactly what the goal is you wish to accomplish.
  • Be specific about the time by when you plan to achieve this goal.
  • Be specific as you decide how the goal will be met.
  • Be specific about the help you need to reach your goal.
Take your most important New Year's resolution and type it at the top of a page. Put down each specific step you will follow to achieve this goal by a specific time that you specify. Now see if you accomplish this resolution. See if your dreams soar like an eagle!

6 comments:

mooderino said...

Interesting idea, makes sense. Might try it out.

cheers,
mood
Moody Writing

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you're not specific, you'll have no idea how to accomplish it.

M.J. Fifield said...

Most of the time, I'm quite specific with my goals. I state exactly what it is I'm hoping to accomplish (i.e., finish writing Chapter 25) and when I want to have it done (the end of the week.).

Sometimes, however, I admit I slack on the specifics—just to give myself a little wiggle room. Cheating, sure, but I don't do it often.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Yes! That's what I've said for years. You need a specific target, path, and deadlines.

cleemckenzie said...

Absolutely. From choosing the specific word to convey the idea clearly, to choosing the way to express the specific theme is crucial to success. Nicely said.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Moody. Hope you will try it.

Alex, great point!

M. J., Wonderful that you are already doing this!

Diane, you are a very organized person. I so admire you for that!

Thanks, Lee. Choosing a specific word. I like that.