Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, February 16, 2018

Explaining the Top Items on My Bucket List

This is week seven of the 52-week blog challenge for Marketing for Romance Writers, and the topic is the top five items on my bucket list. Because I have cleared away many items over the years, I had to stop and think about this list.

Going to the state of Alaska has to be at or near the top of my bucket list. After all, my husband and I have visited every state except Alaska. Years ago, I dreamed of flying to the West Coast and renting a vehicle to drive from Washington state up the coast of Canada to Alaska. It sounded like a wonderful adventure. That was the exuberance of youth speaking. Such a trip now sounds rather grueling and long. Also, Alaska is cold with short days most of the time. I am rethinking.

A trip to Australia was once at the top of my list. However, that sounds even more daunting now. When we flew for nine hours on a trip from St. Louis to Hawaii, that flight dampened my desire to fly double that time to get to Australia. And that did not even count the many hours to get from the East Coast to the West Coast to begin the trip.

I have now added to the top of the list the promotion of the "Passenger to Paradise" novels I started to write as a series in 2001. Those stories began with Hearts Across Forever, set on the luxurious tropical island of Jamaica.  There, I discovered Rose Hall Great House and the legend of the White Witch. Ideas blossomed in the lush setting and drummed up a magic drama and love story for the characters and for the "Passenger".

A dreamer, creator, and traveler, the "Passenger to Paradise" loves to go to exotic places where she can readily research her books. A new novel, set in the tropics, is now part of my bucket list. That will make six books for the "Passenger to Paradise". I wonder how many more ideas she will drag onto my bucket list, making it always out of reach to complete.



5 comments:

Cathy Brockman said...

Interesting post. I love the way your books are about traveling. that sounds intriguing. good luck.

Holly Bargo said...

My husband and I fully intend to visit Alaska in 2019. Our younger son will be stationed at Elmendorf AFB.

Molly Daniels said...

I think Alaska would be fun to visit!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - I'd love to visit Australia ... and would put up with the trip - especially having just jumped 'ship' from the UK to Vancouver Island ... we'll see if it happens when I finish up here. Alaska - I think might be fun ... but I do dislike the cold, but it's staggeringly beautiful. Good luck with wherever you decide to travel to ... actually or in writing your stories ... cheers Hilary

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Cathy Brockman. Traveling gives a new world view.

Hen House Publishing, you will have a super reason to go to Alaska.

Molly Daniels, I agree.

Hilary, thanks for your comments. I try not to write about places I have not visited in my stories. You had quite a trip from UK to Vancouver Island!