Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, March 16, 2018

If I Never Had to Market My Work Again, I'd Be Happy

If I never had to market my work again, I would be very happy. This is for week 11 of Marketing for Romance Writers 52-week blog challenge.

Don't get me wrong. There are some marketing tasks that I like.

For one thing, I enjoy meeting new people, but sometimes I feel intimidated, especially at book signings. The type of book makes a lot of difference, I've decided. Novels are a hard sell for me. I'm told often that the person only reads non-fiction. Not much hope there.

My new children's book, An Artful Animal Alphabet, gets a more positive response. It is colorful, illustrated with my own original paintings, and a lot of people have purchased copies for their grandchildren. I enjoy seeing their enthusiastic smiles.

If I didn't need to market, I could use all my time writing books and creating art. That would be more fun. I don't mind writing a few press releases, but if I never have to do a lot of marketing I would enjoy the creative process much more.

4 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - can see it's a difficult task ... and having stood on the sidelines for so long ... I can see that effort - but good luck and your Alphabet one is glorious - in fact just ordered for the kids (9,6 +3), who will be here for Easter ... cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I might actually be writing...

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I don't mind the marketing, I just hate paying for it.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Hilary, thank you so much. Hope the children enjoy. I want people to use the little story I have for each letter as a starter when reading to/with the children.

Alex, the creative part is what I like best.

Diane, you are a great marketer!