Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, April 2, 2018

Be Not Afraid - A to Z Blog Challenge



"Visions in My Heart" ©Mary Montague Sikes
In today's A to Z Blog Challenge for "B", the phrase "Be Not Afraid" has come to me as I write about a painting I did with watercolors on Arches 300# paper. The painting is titled "Visions in My Heart". As I study it, I wonder about some darkness that must exist within, darkness that delays the search for Xanadu. I feel the heavy texture of the paper and remember that I do not really like to paint on Arches. The slick and slippery surface of Yupo is far more appealing to me as are the bright Robert Doak watercolors. Perhaps the phrase, "Be Not Afraid", is warning me against the fear I have about working on this surface. Perhaps it is encouraging me to explore more in my journey as an artist.

Study the image. Is that a window in the center that looks through into another part of the universe. What is the dark image nearby? This painting provokes a multitude of questions. What are yours?



4 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - your book went down a storm thank you ... the mother, Stacey, was thrilled and certainly two younger girls will delight in the stories ... the older one I hope will look up more about the various animals.

This picture looks like the world is fracturing ... or a migraine is upon one - ... but so much could be read into your artwork - always interesting - cheers Hilary

Birgit said...

Great painting and I thought the one part looks like a window and the dark part reminded me of a silhouette of a person’s head and the lines emanate from his mouth to the window with the world below and 2 suns above

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Hilary, thank you. That is lovely. Thank you, also, for your comments about the art.

Birgit, thank you for sharing what you see. It makes me see even more.

Anstice Brown said...

Great painting, I love the colours. To me, it looks like an abstract picture of space, with the round shapes as planet. It looks like a window to another universe!