Daddy's Christmas Angel

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Every Meaningful Thought -- Blogging Challenge A to Z

"Tangled" ©Mary Montague Sikes
"Every Meaningful Thought". The words came to me in a flash as I pondered the phrase for "E" in the A to Z Blog Challenge for today. Then I remembered the perfect painting to follow the words.

When I painted "Tangled", I first cut a sheet of Yupo to fit an 18" x 24" gallery-wrapped stretched canvas, then I applied matte medium to both the canvas and the Yupo and adhered the two together. Since I love working on stretched canvas and I love working on Yupo, this gave me the best of two worlds. Next, I used my favorite Robert Doak intense watercolors in spray bottles to apply layers of paint. Later, I used Derwent Inktense pencils and blocks to draw and emphasize sections and parts of the image I had created.

In studying this painting, I have many thoughts run through my mind. Where is this place? Is it on Xanadu? Are there shells on its beach? A sun in its sky? So many tangled thoughts flutter and vanish. I study each section and more meaningful thoughts arise. There is wonder of a new world and places in the universe and beyond about which we know nothing. I wonder and wonder and wonder.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great title. Some vivid colors there.

Birgit said...

I love this because our thoughts seem to go into the cosmos and this looks like the cosmos to me. I promise I didn’t have any shrooms:) I love these colours...very vibrant

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

hi Monti - every meaningful thought ... is good - as I could spend a few hours happily looking at your painting ... and as you say 'dreaming' ideas into it ... cheers Hilary

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, thank you.

Birgit, I love your thoughts about this. Thank you.

Hilary, I so enjoy doing this kind of work. Thanks.