Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, June 25, 2018

Legend of the Dragonfly

Dragonfly necklace ©Mary Montague Sikes
When I wear my dragonfly necklace, people often ask me about the legend of the beautiful insect. Artist Tina McCloud is the creator of this striking piece of jewelry that I saw her wearing at a meeting one day. I complimented it, and she responded with, "It's for sale." I bought it and have never regretted the purchase. It became part of my "Passenger to Paradise" series of books, first appearing in Night Watch.

I noted the legend in that book.

"The dragonfly is a symbol of change, going beyond self-illusion to create new beginnings and happiness. Because their colors result from reflected and refracted light, dragonflies may be associated with color magic and illusion. For some Native Americans they represent the souls of the dead."

Dragonflies are often featured in my art, especially the work I create on Yupo. This is small section of a diptych acrylic painting.

I love dragonflies and will keep on searching for their meaning.
"So Many Dragonflies" ©Mary Montague Sikes

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I never knew the legend behind them.
Funny you bought the necklace right off her neck!

Birgit said...

I love dragonflies and damselflies and love the native totem meanings. Your painting is just so beautiful with the colours that evoke the refracted colours of this insect.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You would love all the dragonflies we have here this season. Most are black, but they are everywhere.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - that was a lucky purchase ... and looks wonderful. There are lots of dragonflies around here ... but ours are coloured ... iridescent ... like your painting. Cheers Hilary

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

I loved the necklace immediately, Alex, and still do.

Thank you, Birgit.

Black dragonflies sound intriguing, Diane. Perhaps they have a special meaning.

All dragonflies attract me, Hilary.

Thanks, All, for your comments.