Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Good Health is a Writer Asset

"Tennis Match" acrylic/canvas ©Mary Montague Sikes
"If you have your health, you have everything."

That's what my mother told me many times through the years. As I've grown older, I've learned to appreciate her philosophical commentary more and more. For writers, no words could be more true. After all, writing can be a sedentary occupation, sitting before a computer, often slouched or hunched forward.

"Valerie's Star"
I probably am fortunate that for many years I was a tennis fanatic. During the summer, I played singles tennis every day, sometimes all day long. Jerry Horner (in my painting) was our instructor for a number of years. He also was athletic director at Rappahannock Community College, so that's where we sometimes went to play matches. I loved it, and the play in summer heat definitely conditioned me. It also gave me a need to continue physical fitness when winter cold prevented outdoor play.

Twenty-three years ago, I was delighted to discover Riverside Fitness & Wellness Center in Gloucester, Virginia. Valerie Morgan had a great aerobics/ fitness program in place, and I learned that indoor tennis at the Denbigh Riverside Center was included with my membership. Over the years, Valerie has created many year-long fitness challenges. The most recent was completing 130 classes in celebration of the 30 years the Center has been open. Valerie made a special star Christmas decoration for everyone who completed the challenge. I did and will treasure my star. Over the years, I have kept up my fitness which was needed for my art as well as writing.


The Varidesk is another important fitness element that I discovered about three years ago. This is a wonderful desk for writers that can be adjusted for both seated and standing work. Since my husband purchased a Varidesk for me, I have always used it standing.

Beside physical fitness, the writer also needs to eat healthy and rest well to set the tone for great plots and energetic writing sessions.

"If you have your health, you have everything."

Mother was right.

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on earning a star!
I hit the gym or work out almost every day of the week.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Good for you, Alex! Since Riverside is a half-hour drive each way, I aim for three days a week. Thank you!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That was nice of her. So many people don't stay in shape - don't even try. Everyone wonders why my husband and I look so young and I say it's because we eat right and exercise which also makes us thin.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Excellent, Diane. Healthy eating and exercise are the perfect combination.

Lorna Collins - Author said...

Thanks for the reminder. I am far too sedentary since my knee surgery a couple of years ago.

Unknown said...

Hi Monti, thank you for the link to your blog. Having you in classes is a blessing and confirms why I'm still there. It's because of members like you! Love, Valerie

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Lorna, that is so easy to do. I get lost in watching TV sometimes and just sitting!

Thank you, Valerie! You are a special asset for Riverside!