Daddy's Christmas Angel

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Marshland Magic

Bright sunshine cast the sharp, dark shadows of leaf-barren trees across the landscape, but the warm air hinted of spring. I pulled a long yellow legal pad from a book shelf, picked up a pen, and headed out to stand on our sprawling redwood deck.

The narrow creek was higher than usual. I could see pine trees from the other side reflected in the still waters. I often wondered if this was one of the creeks branching off the York and Mattaponi Rivers that Captain John Smith explored by barge long ago, soon after the settlement of Jamestown. Pocahontas and her friends might have played in our woods that edge the creek. I wondered about that, too.

Something compelled me to step down from the deck and hurry to my spot where I often study and photograph the marsh. Drawings and paintings have resulted from those studies. Angels live in the marshland. I am sure of that.

"Angel of the Marshland"
©Mary Montague Sikes

Angel of the Marshland

Angel of the Marshland, your colors amaze me

And you have such a vibrant glow.

Like lost among the brown grasses

You’ve changed the colors to suit you.

 

I love the trees and waters of the marsh.

Do you hide there often?

                                                                                                                 I will look for you next time I go.

                                                                Then, I’ll touch your golden hair.

                                                                                 ©Mary Montague Sikes

This is a painting that resulted from my visit to the hill overlooking the marshland that day. The poem (there are two more verses) came to me later. I could sense the presence of this angel standing near a tree soon to come alive with bright green leaves. The dogwood would have flowers as well. 

My painting and poem became part of my very special book, Artful Angels. This is a book filled with spiritual beauty and poetic wealth, designed to heal the body and the mind with its mystery and magic.

Amazon.com

Barnes & Noble

www.MontiSikes.com 

monti7olen@verizon.net

No comments: