Daddy's Christmas Angel

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Diana Cosby, My First Ever Guest Blogger

"A New Year’s Guide To Achieving Your Goals!"
By Diana Cosby ©2012

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great.” - Mark Twain

Dreams are visions of what we can become.  But, dreams are also an invitation to doubt, to wonder if you’re good enough, or if you have what it takes.   When I retired from the Navy, I decided to pursue my dream of becoming a published author.  After 100 rejections, I quit counting as I figured I knew how to achieve a rejection.  Then, after 9 ½ years, I finally sold.  The journey taught me many things, which I’d like to share with you.

-Take yourself seriously:  If YOU don’t, no one else will. 

-Associate with people who inspire you, and encourage you to achieve your dreams.  Encourage and inspire others as you grow in your own writing.

-Set a clear goal:  Once you know exactly what you want, break down steps to achieve it.  If you’re unsure how to start, read biographies of people who have achieved a dream similar to yours.   What steps did they take?  Are there comparable avenues you can pursue?

-Success is a compilation of small steps toward one focused goal.   

-Affiliate yourself with professional organizations:  Join accredited groups to educate yourself about the industry you’ve chosen.  In addition to net-working, you will have opportunities to learn from on-line or local sources.

-Self affirmation:  Each morning reaffirm that you are good enough and clarify your goal of the day.  Then, move forward with positive, focused steps.

-Inspirational quotes:  I’m a huge fan of inspirational quotes, they ground and remind me that each of us struggle as we pursue our dreams.  Each day, I find a quote that touches me and post it on my Facebook page in hopes others find inspiration in the message as well.

-Permission to fail:  Success is not a moment, but a journey.  As we grow within our craft, there will be times when we fail at certain steps.  Focus not on the failure, but on the lessons learned.  What worked, what didn’t?  Move forward and make wiser decisions with the knowledge learned. 

-The way we act, and talk about our goals reflects our commitment to them:  What are you telling yourself?  “I WILL do this!”  Or, are you assuring yourself that one day you’ll really try?

-Give the gift of example:  When you make the choice to follow your dream, you are doing more than commitment to self, but teaching your children an important life lesson dare to dream, and follow through.  So, be bold.  Believe in yourself. 

            I hope you’ve found inspiration from my comments.  Remember, there is no right path, but the steps right for you.  Believe in yourself, YOU have what it takes!

*How do you encourage others to go after their dreams?
**One person will be drawn from all posts today.  The winner receives a signed copy of His Destiny!

Bio for Diana Cosby

After retiring at 36 from my job as a Navy Chief Meteorologist/Oceanographer, I dove into my passion – writing romance novels. With 33 moves behind me, I was anxious to create characters who reflected the amazing cultures and people I’ve met throughout the world. Nine and a half years later, I received “The Call” from Kensington and sold the first two books in the MacGruder brother’s series.
I have many passions, but one that resonates most in my life is that of giving. I firmly believe that each of us can make a positive difference in another person’s life.  With each book I sell, I tithe 10% of my royalties to a charity of my choice.  I’m currently working on the next book in the award-winning MacGruder brother’s series, and look forward to the years of writing ahead and meeting the amazing people who will share this journey.

Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author
His Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder
His Conquest-Seathan MacGruder / His Destiny-Patrik
(Updates on the MacGruder brothers series coming soon!)
Highland vampire anthology:  Title/Release date TBA
. http://www.dianacosby.com/
http://www.dianacosby.com/books.html

Thank you, Diana, for being my guest today! I first met Diana several years ago at a meeting of the Virginia Romance Writers. I was impressed with her poise and charming personality. Since then, I've been amazed at the interest she shows in all the writers in our VRW group. Although she moved to Texas soon after we met, she has continued her connection with Virginia Writers. I very much admire her interest in a variety of charities and her dedication to giving a portion of her royalties to those of her choice.

Please comment on this post. I will leave it up though Saturday, and a winner will then be chosen to receive a copy of His Destiny.

Diana is my first ever guest author. I hope to make this a new feature on Notes Along the Way for 2012 with a guest once or twice a month.

36 comments:

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Welcome, Diana Cosby. Thank you so much for being my guest today!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is a most excellent check list! Welcome, Diana!

Diana Cosby said...

Good morning Mary,

My sincere having me on Notes Along The Way. It’s an honor to be your first guest author.
Thank you for your kind words. Your friendship is a blessing. *Hugs*
Happy New Year!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Diana Cosby said...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said: That is a most excellent check list! Welcome, Diana!

~Hi Alex, thank you so much for stopping by and the warm welcome. If anything helps, that’s what it’s all about. I wish you a fabulous new year, and may you achieve your goals!
Slaìnte!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Alex, for stopping by. I like Diana's check list as well!

Anonymous said...

Hey Diana! Notes along the way is awesome to read. I enjoy it! Thank you!!!!
Kelley from South Carolina :)

Jeanmarie Hamilton said...

Hi Monti and Diana,

It's nice to meet you Monti. Congratulations on your books, Monti. The hotel book sounds intriguing too.

Diana, thanks for the New Year's list. Great things to remember. :-) I've enjoyed your Highlander series, every one. I can't wait for your next book!
*Hugs*
Happy New Year!

Diana Cosby said...

Unknown said (Kelley): Hey Diana! Notes along the way is awesome to read. I enjoy it! Thank you!!!!
Kelley from South Carolina :)

~Hi Kelley, thank you so much for stopping by, and I hope you’re enjoying the New Year. Hope it’s nice on your end. I’m glad you enjoyed the post. It’s an honor to be Monti’s firsts guest. She’s such a sweetheart. Take care and I wish you the very best!
Slaìnte!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Diana Cosby said...

Jeanmarie Hamilton said: Hi Monti and Diana,

~Hi Jeanmarie, fabulous to see you! Thank you for stopping by. I’m so proud of you and wishing you continued success! *Hugs*

Diana, thanks for the New Year's list. Great things to remember. :-)

~If anything helps, that’s fantastic.

I've enjoyed your Highlander series, every one. I can't wait for your next book!

~Thank you so much. *Hugs* I enjoy your stories as well. I looking forward to announcing more exciting news about the MacGruder brothers early this year. Take care and wish you every success! *Hugs*
God bless,

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Unknown (Kelley) for stopping by and commenting. Diana has been absolutely amazing with her rise to fame. Thank you for your kind comments about Notes Along the Way. I hope you'll continue to visit.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Jeanmarie, thank you for stopping by and commenting on Diana's Highlander books! She is so talented.

Thanks for the congratulations on my books! Please come back and visit again soon!

eightzenuff said...

Hi Diana!
I love it when I discover another romance writer who loves Highlanders!!!! Love the series!!!

Caroline Clemmons said...

Hi, Diana. Glad to "see" round and about.

Diana Cosby said...

eightzenuff said: Hi Diana!

~Hi and thank you so much for stopping by. ^5

I love it when I discover another romance writer who loves Highlanders!!!! Love the series!!!

~ I’m with you, Highlander’s are amazing! Thank you for your kind words. I love writing this series, and can’t wait to share the exciting news about upcoming MacGruder brother stories. I hope you have a wonderful year, and I wish you and yours the very best!
Slaìnte!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Diana Cosby said...

Caroline Clemmons said: Hi, Diana. Glad to "see" round and about.

 Caroline, thank you for stopping by. Love your stories, and am blessed by your friendship. Wishing you the best in 2012! *Hugs*
God bless,

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Diana,

Congrats on being the first guest blogger!

Your post really resonated with me. I especially love the part about giving yourself permission to fail because then you can learn and move past it rather than letting the failure fester inside you, which hampers creativity.

Great thoughts!

Cindy Procter-King said...

Whoops, that anonymous comment was me - Cindy Procter-King

Diana Cosby said...

Cindy Procter-King said: Hi Diana,

~Hey, Cindy, thanks for stopping by. Always wonderful to see you. You’re a wonderful writer and an amazing person who continually inspires me. I’m blessed by your friendship. *Hugs*

Congrats on being the first guest blogger!

~Thank you so much, it’s a huge honor. :)

Your post really resonated with me. I especially love the part about giving yourself permission to fail because then you can learn and move past it rather than letting the failure fester inside you, which hampers creativity.

~I always remember what Nora Roberts said, “I can edit crap, but I can’t edit a blank page.” So true. Words to live by.

Great thoughts!

~If anything helps, fabulous. Take care and I wish you continued success. I’m so proud of you!!! *Hugs*
Happy New Year!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Eightzenuff, Caroline Clemmons, and Cindy Proctor-King for visiting Notes Along the Way and commenting on Diana's post!

Diana is a special author, and I'm thrilled to have her as my guest today!

Kathy said...

Great post Diana. Good luck with the series the first two books wee outstanding know the rest will be too. HUGS, take care and if you ever wander back to TX look me up.

Marja said...

Wonderful blog and very inspiring. I'm glad I stopped in.

Ashley Kath-Bilsky said...

Diana: What a wonderful, inspiring post! I loved everything you had to say and now feel like I had a B-12 shot. I do believe in the power and purpose of dreams. Sometimes it is hard to stay positive, and not lose hope, but all the points you made are productive steps we all can take in our lives - whatever the "dream". I am keeping your post on my desk for those moments when I think, "I can't". Blessings and continued success to a fantastic author and a beautiful person. - Ashley

Diana Cosby said...

Kathy said: Great post Diana.

~Hi Kathy, thank you so much for stopping by to say hi. If anything helps, fantastic.

Good luck with the series the first two books were outstanding know the rest will be too.

~Thank you so much for your kind words. I love the MacGruder brothers and writing their stories, and I’m humbled you and others enjoy them as well.

HUGS, take care and if you ever wander back to TX look me up.
~*Hugs* I will. Please know I’m keeping you in my prayers. Take care my friend.
God bless,

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Diana Cosby said...

Marja said: Wonderful blog and very inspiring. I'm glad I stopped in.

~Hi Marja, I appreciate your stopping by. So glad if anything in the blog helped.  Take care, and I wish you an amazing New Year!
Slaìnte!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Diana Cosby said...

Ashley Kath-Bilsky said: Diana: What a wonderful, inspiring post! I loved everything you had to say and now feel like I had a B-12 shot.

~Hi Ashley, thank you for stopping by and saying hi. So glad if you found inspiration in my blog, that’s what it’s all about.

I do believe in the power and purpose of dreams. Sometimes it is hard to stay positive, and not lose hope, but all the points you made are productive steps we all can take in our lives - whatever the "dream".

~Exactly, each step forward is exactly that. :)

I am keeping your post on my desk for those moments when I think, "I can't".

~*Hugs* Believe in your dreams!

Blessings and continued success to a fantastic author and a beautiful person.

~My blessings to you as well. Believe in yourself. You HAVE what it takes! *Hugs* Happy New Year!
Slaìnte!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Pamela K. Kinney said...

To inspire others, expecially the young is always something we all must strive to do. Great post, Diana.

Diana Cosby said...

Pamela K. Kinney said: To inspire others, especially the young is always something we all must strive to do. Great post, Diana.

~Hi Pamela, thank you so much for saying hi. I know you’re crazy busy with your writing, and I wish you continued success. Setting a positive example is a wonderful goal. ^5 Take care, and Happy New Year!
Slaìnte!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Hi Kathy,

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm glad you've had the chance to enjoy Diana's books. She's quite a talented author!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Marja, I'm glad you came by and were inspired by Diana's post. Thanks!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Ashley, I just went and read the Oct. 7, 2011 tribute to your mother and the lovely poem you found. Like the poem, I've never found a gone loved one in a cemetery. They are not there but are in the memories in your heart and so much more.

Thank you for commenting on Diana's post. She is indeed special!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Pamela, thank you for the observation on inspiring the young. That is one of my goals as well. Always good to hear from you and read your comments!

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Diana, Great tips. This one stood out to me:-Success is a compilation of small steps toward one focused goal.
I agree - small successes add up to big ones. I'm trying to remember this as I work on my new years resoluation to lose weight.

I really enjoy your "His" series and I'd love to read this book so keep me in mind.

I do have a question - where did you find that inspirational spark for this series? Was it a dream? A picture? A song? I'd curious.

Smiles
Steph

Diana Cosby said...

StephB said: Diana, Great tips. This one stood out to me:-Success is a compilation of small steps toward one focused goal. I agree - small successes add up to big ones. I'm trying to remember this as I work on my new year’s resolution to lose weight.

~Hi Steph, thank you very much for coming by to say hi. It’s so true. When feel overwhelmed, I stop, regroup with this in mind, and move forward. Great resolution. I’m doing the same. ^5

I really enjoy your "His" series and I'd love to read this book so keep me in mind.

~Thank you so much for your kind words.

I do have a question - where did you find that inspirational spark for this series? Was it a dream? A picture? A song? I'd curious.

~I had a thought, what if there was a bowl of halved stones, and the heroine was to somehow get the stone. I’m had a lot of fun figuring out how each heroine is to procure her respective halved gem. :) Take care, and I wish you success in your every endeavor. Remember, the key is believing in yourself and when the challenges come, to take a deep breath, break down the challenging into steps, and push forward. Happy New Year!
Slaìnte!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Diana Cosby said...

Good morning,
My thanks to Monti for having me as her first guest author at, “Notes Along The Way.” A sincere honor. Another huge thanks to everyone who took the time to stop by. *Hugs*
The winner of the signed copy of His Destiny, drawn by random.org, is Ashley! Congratulations, Ashley!!! I will contact you in private for a mailing address to send the signed book to.
I wish each of you a wonderful 2012. Remember, believe in yourself, you HAVE what it takes!
God bless,

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Diana, thank you so much for being my guest on Notes Along the Way. I thank the visitors for stopping by and making comments. Congratulations to Ashley as the winner of a copy of His Destiny! All of you, please come back and visit again whenever you can!

Anonymous said...

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all
folks you actually recognise what you are talking approximately!
Bookmarked. Please also discuss with my site =).
We will have a hyperlink alternate contract among
us
My site : christian louboutin cheap