Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, April 16, 2018

Night Vision Leads Away - A to Z Blogging Challenge


"Light on a Frantic Sea" ©Mary Montague Sikes
My phrase for today's A to Z Blogging Challenge is "Night Vision Leads Away". I wonder what those words mean. Something different for each person, I think. Perhaps they mean nothing at all. Perhaps the darkness brings fear and disturbing thoughts or dreams.

"Light on a Frantic Sea" is the painting I have selected for the phrase. I can imagine this as a depiction of a chaotic night. The lines move away from a troubled zone. There is a spot of red near the center of the painting that draws me to it. This painting is oil and cold wax on a panel. I enjoy working with cold wax because of the many possibilities this material offers. The painting experience is far different from that using watercolor on Yupo.

What do you think? Do you like the look of cold wax and oil? Does it tell a story about the phrase for today?




5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That on'e cool. Wax and oil? Interesting mix. It works well.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - I can see the ship being tossed around on a night when there's not much vision for the oodles of spray ... cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Working with wax - how fascinating.

Birgit said...

I really love this painting with the great colours and I bet it looks even better in person. I have heard of wax with oil paint and wax with paint I use on my cards but I haven’t done this yet. I actually find this hopeful and feel this is what one might see when one falls into a dream and the dream is hopeful. Recently my dreams have not been that nice so I like looking at this. I may try to envision this as I fall asleep

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, this is a new to me process that I plan to teach in the fall or late summer. I love the process.

Hilary, I see the same thing.

Diane, I love working with cold wax. This is less toxic than encaustic which is less toxic than working with hot wax.

Birgit, you would love the process. Mixing cold wax with oil is not toxic and is wonderful for mixed media work.